How do you see movies before their release date in theaters?

For example, I know that Disney sent out invitations to those interested in seeing TRON: Legacy in theaters a week or so before it was actually set to be released officially. Just recently a friend insisted that Thor was having a pre-release showing nearby, but I couldn't find any information on it.

For example, I have been looking for pre-release showings of Cars 2 and Winnie-the-Pooh with no luck.

Is there some sort of website or resource to figure out the possibility of there being a pre-release of a movie before the actual set release date?

Thanks!

Sneak previews is what I am talking about, which is possible given the TRON: Legacy example. Where exactly does one look to find information about it?

Favorite Answer

A lot of movies have sneak previews that start around a week before the movie comes out. Sometimes, theaters will have people standing outside handing out tickets. Other times they advertise sneak previews online and in newspapers.

The purpose is to get people to talk about the movie so their friends show up on opening weekend.

I don't think you're talking about screenings. They can still edit the movie after they screen it to people.

Fandango.com posts sneak preview times if you select the earliest date (6/23) from the drop-down menu, but Cars 2 might be hard to find a sneak preview for since it's guaranteed to do well on opening weekend. The point of a sneak preview is to get people interested in the movie, so Cars 2 might not need that.

The simple way is to go to the theater's website and buy in advance, but I am thinking that that is too late for what you want. This is a shot in the dark, but if you have an American Express card, the concierge service there may be able to get them far in advance. As a last resort, I would go to the theater in the morning, as soon as they open, and ask to talk to the manager. Let him know what you want and that this is a very special surprise - he may be able to help you out, especially since you are not asking for a freebie. Romance lives - Good Luck!