? asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 10 years ago

My computer broke after playing Duke Nukem?

I am seriously annoyed by this because not only have I waited 12 years or the game then an extra 20 minutes to register it to steam then a final 2 and a half hours for an update but once I started playing the game, straight after the first level the screen went all checked and the computer would not respond.

Here are the full details:

* The computer will start and load windows, except on the log in screen there are small boxes randomly dotted that look somewhat like compression artefacts.

* Usually the computer screen then flickers and resets automatically

* If I can make it to the desktop there is a checked pattern where there are squares made of dithered red dots

* Windows dose the same in safe mode

* my Linux partition runs perfectly so It is not a hardware problem, however DNF is a PC only game

Basically I need a quick solution that dose not involve reinstalling or anything, I'm not sure if it is the fault of DNF as I always run at least five other processor intensive programs at once (for shits and giggles) but if it is, someone seriously needs to tell them about it.

Favorite Answer

I agree with Mercuri.

Windows 7 and Vista both use video acceleration.

I would try:

1. reload your video drivers

2. Try a 3D hardware accelerated program in Linux see what it does (if it doesn't look right skip to step 4).

3. Re-install windows.

4. Check the warranty on your video card some are as little as 1 year others like XFX warrants thier cards for a lifetime.

Why do I think your video card is toast?

I've had similar issues only to find out that my card was toast due to a video card fan that stopped working.

• akram

Commodore sixty 4 FTW! no longer something will ever beat Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders. Ever. That pronounced, I additionally grew up with enormously a lot each and every gaming equipment regular to guy, so I even have very fond innovations of Lemmings, Quake, Chex Quest, and each very final fable interest regular to guy. i'm 23, for the checklist.

Your video card is fried. Linux is working fine because it's not using hardware acceleration for the video.