California Legal knife that can be taken to a school. K-12?

Hi, I wanted to know what knife is california legal and can be taken to a school as a minor? There are no laws saying how old you have to be for california's knife law to apply to you so age isn't a problem.

One thing I read in the CA Penal Code is that any SWITCHBLADE over 2" is illegal, so please only link to knives under 2".

The law says that:

626.10. (a) Any person, except a duly appointed peace officer as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, a full-time paid peace officer of another state or the federal government who is carrying out official duties while in this state, a person summoned by any officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace while the person is actually engaged in assisting any officer, or a member of the military forces of this state or the United States who is engaged in the performance of his or her duties, who brings or possesses any dirk, dagger, ice pick,

knife having a blade longer than 2 1/2 inches, folding knife with a blade that locks into place,

a razor with an unguarded blade, a taser, or a stun gun, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 244.5, any instrument that expels a metallic projectile such as a BB or a pellet, through the force of air pressure, CO2 pressure, or spring action, or any spot marker gun, upon the grounds of, or within, any public or private school providing instruction in kindergarten or any of grades 1 to 12, inclusive, is guilty of a public offense, punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison.

Does that mean that any knife under 2.5 inches can be taken or that any non folding knife under 2.5" can be taken? Are all folding knives banned or only knives that are above 2.5"?

And can anyone give me a link to a knife that is under 2" and can be carried on school grounds?

Update:

I really don't care much for the school's policy, all I want is to make sure that I can't get into any real legal trouble.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I'm under the impression nearly all public schools have a zero tolerance ban on weapons of any kind. Even Swiss army knives. Bad idea.

• 4 years ago

nicely there are extremely some people accountable in this. a million) Whoever left the knife the place an 8 365 days previous ought to discover it. 2) You son - the two for identifying on it up contained in the 1st place, and then no longer telling an person he has it (no be counted if it grow to be the bus motive force or a instructor) 3) the lads who went into his bookbag the academics can not be everywhere at as quickly as, and as a result can not be keeping a watch on each and each toddler, each and every minute of the school day - so there is not any blame there. As for punishment - i think of he's been punished adequate via being suspended for the offense, and with the conceivable danger of being expelled.

• Moore
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Regardless of the laws of the state, keep in mind that schools reserve the right to ban knives per their own school board or administrative policy. You would have to verify your school's policy first before attempting this, and indeed it would be best if you consulted with someone from the main office. They have the final say on if it's allowed.

If you do in fact have the word of the principle or vice principle that you are allowed to have a small >2.5" knife at your school, here are a few I would recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Classic-Poc...

http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-64010103K-Micra-M...

http://www.google.com/search?q=benchmite&hl=en&prm...

• WRG
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Virtually all schools have a zero tolerance policy about things such as knives.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

bringing any knife into a school is a good way to get yourself in a ton of trouble. wrap your head around that, not the knife laws for the state.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.