JoJo asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 9 years ago

How serious is this? Should I go home? How much longer do you think he can live like this?

My father is 51 years old during this past month he's had four separate incidents where he thought that he was having a heart attack. He ended having another one early this month and went to the the ER...I guess it wasn't a heart attack but they think that it was brought on by his drinking. They found out that he has a enlarge liver and that the bottom of his eye were yellow indicating siroccos of the liver...

I was mortified when I heard this cause I hadn't heard about any of the four other incidents until after he got out of the hospital but I guess no one had until he thought he was dying and told them about the four other times and that he's been drinking at the very least a 1.5 liters of vodka a week..

He's obese, has hypertension, and in the "pre-stages" of being diabetic. I'm really worried about him he has a lot of health issues and honestly I don't know if he'll be around in the next ten years.

He's acting like it's nothing. I live far away... is this serious enough for me to fly home or am I over reacting?

Favorite Answer

Drinking is the death of him. He already has one foot in. Doesn't he have anyone at home with him? He's not able to be home alone. 51 is rather young but he needs someone to help him. Family or at worst case a nursing home. Drinking so much is a way of saying he doesn't want to live. If all u want is to see him one last time then now would be it. He does need somebody to intervene & get him taken care of one way or another.

Sorry

With all health issues and Cirrhosis on top of that, it's safe to say yes go see him while you still have him here. When you do go see him, have him start eating. See when an alcoholic drinks they substitute food for the alcohol and in terms can hurt the liver causing Cirrhosis. An indication is yellowing of the eyes, skin and fingernails etc. Just have him eat better and maybe you will have him around a short while longer.

Good Luck!

It sounds serious to me, but even if it isnt i would say that its best to fly back home just incase. Id rather be there to support my dad if he was seriously ill. Better safe then sorry. If something does happen and your not there, you will end up feeling even worse. Id say go home and help him get through it even if he doesnt consider it serious

It's serious enough for you to fly home for a little bit. See him while he's still well enough.

Good luck.

If you think you feel the need to go and help, then do so.