Painted Used Car a Bad Sign?

My wife and I are looking at buying a 2004 Honda Odyssey EXL. Everything about the car from it's autotrader listing looks normal, and the detailed carfax report comes back clean. It gives a few service mentions (oil change, stuff like that), but no major work done. It was privately owned by one owner from 2004 until Dec. 2010 when it was bought by a dealership. At that time, the carfax shows it was painted from the original black, to a silver color. This could either be because there was damage not listed in the carfax, or just because they wanted to change the color (unlikely?). Is there anything I could be looking for when inspecting the vehicle? It's 100 miles away, so I'm not wanting to drive all the way out to find it's been in a bad accident. Would my best bet be to take it to a third party mechanic in their area to have it inspected?

Note: Just heard back from the auto dealer. He said it has always been silver and the emissions report (on the carfax report) accidentally used the wrong code. Not sure how likely that is - I will definitely have someone else look at it. Thanks for the advice!

• Kenny
    Best Answer

You can ask them why it was repainted and to see more pictures of it before driving 100 miles.

• Emissions report are always wrong on carfax. I HATE they allow this people to put this info in. I had a car that had 3,300 miles and they typed in 33,000 miles. I am sure the emission report is wrong. They are wrong very often. Ask the dealer what the paint code is in the door jam? Give me the paint code and I will tell you what to correct color is. Should start as NH6 and then 2 to 3 more numbers. It is posted in the drivers door jam.

Some people do just have vehicles painted for the heck of it. They might have wanted a silver one, but black was all they could find. Paintjobs are relatively cheap when no bodywork is necessary.

Definitely suggestable to take it to a mechanic for a once-over. Make sure to get a quote (or quotes) before they start. I've actually seen people on here who thought the mechanic was going to do it for free.

There are no guarantees with a used car, but they can sometimes detect major problems - or let you know if anything else is out of whack. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but it might give you more wiggle room on the price.

See if anyone who is mechanically inclined or savvy when it comes to buying used cars can come with you - 'strength in numbers' as they say! :)

It's very likely that the Carfax is incorrect. The dealer just told you that the vehicle is silver, not black. Now if you don't believe that then maybe you shouldn't be purchasing a vehicle for anybody.

Source(s): Dealer

Would my best bet be to take it to a third party mechanic in their area to have it inspected?

---

Yes.

Any shop who wants a few dollars to help out can plop that van on a lift and check how badly the underside is mangled.

• dar

attempt using nail polish remover with a delicate cloth. and rub in mild circles that would restoration the priority. be confident to no longer douse the cloth merely be conscious adequate. thats how i've got been given rid of light scratches.and wipe after with water. wish this helped.