What does "hook up" mean in American slang today?

"hook up" can have two meanings: to meet, or to have a sexual encounter of some degree. Before it had any sexual connotations the term meant, meet. Today, the slang dictionary definition seems to be kissing and touching above the waist. Younger speakers seem to use it as synonymous with "getting... show more "hook up" can have two meanings: to meet, or to have a sexual encounter of some degree. Before it had any sexual connotations the term meant, meet. Today, the slang dictionary definition seems to be kissing and touching above the waist. Younger speakers seem to use it as synonymous with "getting laid", though there may me a difference between the past and future tenses. I hooked up last night meaning, I got laid last night. I'd like to hook up tonight, might mean I hope I have some sort of sexual encounter tonight, but not necessarily the expectation of getting laid. Current usage shifts toward the less vulgar as a term is used by more of the population and wider age groups. How acceptable is "hook up" today. Could you say to your grandmother, "I hope you have a chance to hook up with your new friend tonight." She might understand this in the old sense of meet. She might see it a vulgar suggestion. She might use the term herself thinking it had come into current usage as a gentle term for seeing someone or dating. What is the consensus?
13 answers 13