why do christian protestants and jehovah witnesses use the name Jehovah for God?

specially jehovah witnesses have changed the New testament and they put Jehovah instead Lord, we know the history, the real name of God has disappeared and just we know the jewish people used Adonay or Elokim

Favorite Answer

The name 'Jehovah' is the English version of the name first penned by a Dominican monk, Raymundus Martini, in the 13th century. Since then, the name 'Jehovah' crept into English translations of the Bible, but it wasn't until Jehovah's Witnesses came up with their own translation that they replaced 'Lord' with Jehovah.

The purpose was to remove any reference to the deity of Jesus in the New Testament.

Although the name 'Jehovah' is known to Protestants, they do not use it, except in a few old hymns. Unlike Jehovah's Witnesses, Protestants know that born-again Christians can call God "Abba, Father" and can enter into relationship with him because they have been adopted into God's family. Sadly, only a few thousand Jehovah's Witnesses can claim to be born again. The rest (over 7 million) call God Jehovah, but they cannot call him "Abba, Father" because they have been excluded from the new covenant, Christ Jesus is not their mediator and their sins have not been forgiven.

Interestingly, in the original NWT of the Christian Greek Scriptures (the New Testament) the foreword acknowledged that Yahweh was the more correct pronunciation of the Divine Name, but they decided to insert Jehovah because they claimed the Divine Name had been deliberately removed. How they have been deceived.

• Connor3 years agoReport

Ummm if you're going to make such a broad and in your mind , a concrete fact; then you might want to do exstensive research and make sure everything you write is backed up with legit resources. But hey who knows me may be some high school kid that believes and regurgetates all you hear. research !

Jehovah's witnesses did not change the word Lord to Jehovah, it was already in there and was changed to Lord by some translators. The early manuscripts all have God's name in them. Bubbles has some excellent info so here is an extension on that. Oh BTW Hallelujah means Praise Jehovah and is commonly sung in many churches (side point)

The Pronunciation of the Divine Name. “Jehovah” is the best known English pronunciation of the divine name, although “Yahweh” is favored by most Hebrew scholars. The oldest Hebrew manuscripts present the name in the form of four consonants, commonly called the Tetragrammaton (from Greek te·tra-, meaning “four,” and gram′ma, “letter”). These four letters (written from right to left) are יהוה and may be transliterated into English as YHWH (or, JHVH).

The Hebrew consonants of the name are therefore known. The question is, Which vowels are to be combined with those consonants? Vowel points did not come into use in Hebrew until the second half of the first millennium C.E. Furthermore, because of a religious superstition that had begun centuries earlier, the vowel pointing found in Hebrew manuscripts does not provide the key for determining which vowels should appear in the divine name.

Superstition hides the name. At some point a superstitious idea arose among the Jews that it was wrong even to pronounce the divine name (represented by the Tetragrammaton). Just what basis was originally assigned for discontinuing the use of the name is not definitely known. Some hold that the name was viewed as being too sacred for imperfect lips to speak. Yet the Hebrew Scriptures themselves give no evidence that any of God’s true servants ever felt any hesitancy about pronouncing his name. Non-Biblical Hebrew documents, such as the so-called Lachish Letters, show the name was used in regular correspondence in Palestine during the latter part of the seventh century B.C.E.

Another view is that the intent was to keep non-Jewish peoples from knowing the name and possibly misusing it. However, Jehovah himself said that he would ‘have his name declared in all the earth’ (Ex 9:16; compare 1Ch 16:23, 24; Ps 113:3; Mal 1:11, 14), to be known even by his adversaries. (Isa 64:2) The name was in fact known and used by pagan nations both in pre-Common Era times and in the early centuries of the Common Era. (The Jewish Encyclopedia, 1976, Vol. XII, p. 119) Another claim is that the purpose was to protect the name from use in magical rites. If so, this was poor reasoning, as it is obvious that the more mysterious the name became through disuse the more it would suit the purposes of practicers of magic.

“God” and “Father” not distinctive. The title “God” is neither personal nor distinctive (one can even make a god of his belly; Php 3:19). In the Hebrew Scriptures the same word (’Elo·him′) is applied to Jehovah, the true God, and also to false gods, such as the Philistine god Dagon (Jg 16:23, 24; 1Sa 5:7) and the Assyrian god Nisroch. (2Ki 19:37) For a Hebrew to tell a Philistine or an Assyrian that he worshiped “God [’Elo·him′]” would obviously not have sufficed to identify the Person to whom his worship went.

In its articles on Jehovah, The Imperial Bible-Dictionary nicely illustrates the difference between ’Elo·him′ (God) and Jehovah. Of the name Jehovah, it says: “It is everywhere a proper name, denoting the personal God and him only; whereas Elohim partakes more of the character of a common noun, denoting usually, indeed, but not necessarily nor uniformly, the Supreme. . . . The Hebrew may say the Elohim, the true God, in opposition to all false gods; but he never says the Jehovah, for Jehovah is the name of the true God only. He says again and again my God . . . ; but never my Jehovah, for when he says my God, he means Jehovah. He speaks of the God of Israel, but never of the Jehovah of Israel, for there is no other Jehovah. He speaks of the living God, but never of the living Jehovah, for he cannot conceive of Jehovah as other than living.”—Edited by P. Fairbairn, London, 1874, Vol. I, p. 856.

The same is true of the Greek term for God, The·os′. It was applied alike to the true God and to such pagan gods as Zeus and Hermes (Roman Jupiter and Mercury). (Compare Ac 14:11-15.) Presenting the true situation are Paul’s words at 1 Corinthians 8:4-6: “For even though there are those who are called ‘gods,’ whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many ‘gods’ and many ‘lords,’ there is actually to us one God the Father, out of whom all things are, and we for him.” The belief in numerous gods, which makes essential that the true God be distinguished from such, has continued even into this 20th century.

Dreamer:

We have not changed Gods name in the bible. Why do you think in the original writings God name was in over 6000 times. Were you see LORD in caps in the bible this is were Gods name should be.

We haven't changed anything my friend.

In the second half of the first millennium C.E., Jewish scholars introduced a system of points to represent the missing vowels in the consonantal Hebrew text. When it came to God’s name, instead of inserting the proper vowel signs for it, they put other vowel signs to remind the reader that he should say ʼAdho‧nai′ (meaning “Sovereign Lord”) or ʼElo‧him′ (meaning “God”).

The Codex Leningrad B 19A, of the 11th century C.E., vowel points the Tetragrammaton to read Yehwah′, Yehwih′, and Yeho‧wah′. Ginsburg’s edition of the Masoretic text vowel points the divine name to read Yeho‧wah′. (Ge 3:14, ftn) Hebrew scholars generally favor “Yahweh” as the most likely pronunciation. They point out that the abbreviated form of the name is Yah (Jah in the Latinized form), as at Psalm 89:8 and in the expression Ha‧lelu-Yah′ (meaning “Praise Jah, you people!”). (Ps 104:35; 150:1, 6) Also, the forms Yehoh′, Yoh, Yah, and Ya′hu, found in the Hebrew spelling of the names Jehoshaphat, Joshaphat, Shephatiah, and others, can all be derived from Yahweh. Greek transliterations of the name by early Christian writers point in a somewhat similar direction with spellings such as I‧a‧be′ and I‧a‧ou‧e′, which, as pronounced in Greek, resemble Yahweh. Still, there is by no means unanimity among scholars on the subject, some favoring yet other pronunciations, such as “Yahuwa,” “Yahuah,” or “Yehuah.”

Since certainty of pronunciation is not now attainable, there seems to be no reason for abandoning in English the well-known form “Jehovah” in favor of some other suggested pronunciation. If such a change were made, then, to be consistent, changes should be made in the spelling and pronunciation of a host of other names found in the Scriptures: Jeremiah would be changed to Yir‧meyah′, Isaiah would become Yeshaʽ‧ya′hu, and Jesus would be either Yehoh‧shu′aʽ (as in Hebrew) or I‧e‧sous′ (as in Greek). The purpose of words is to transmit thoughts; in English the name Jehovah identifies the true God, transmitting this thought more satisfactorily today than any of the suggested substitutes.

The Tetragrammaton occurs 6,828 times in the Hebrew text printed in Biblia Hebraica and Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia. In the Hebrew Scriptures the New World Translation contains the divine name 6,973 times, because the translators took into account, among other things, the fact that in some places the scribes had replaced the divine name with ʼAdho‧nai′ or ʼElo‧him′. (See NW appendix, pp. 1561, 1562.) The very frequency of the appearance of the name attests to its importance to the Bible’s Author, whose name it is. Its use throughout the Scriptures far outnumbers that of any of the titles, such as “Sovereign Lord” or “God,” applied to him.

we use Jehovah because that is God's Name. just like you and I, there's not a single creature, plant, tree, animal, etc....that does not have a name. the first human pair had names. the stars and galaxies have names. he created all these things and yet he himself remains nameless. God is a title, his Name is Jehovah (Psalms 83:18).

YHWH, or Yaweh is Jehovah in Greek. So, Greek translations (e.g. the Septuagint) use Jehovah for God's name, at least in the OT.

The Tetragrammaton......YHVH is used in the Bible and we do not know what way it was pronounced as the knowledge died with the Jewish priests of old.

Voweld are added to give an approximation of the name and two candidates are

1. YAHWEH also pronounced YAHVEH

2 JEHOVAH or Yehovah

The translation committee didn't change the Christian Greek scriptures (aka New Testament) to fit some bias about using the name "Jehovah." The placed it where it should rightfully be.

A large majority of the usage of Jehovah in the NT is quoting Hebrew text that contain the divine name in the form of the tetragrammaton (Hebrew: יהוה‎). Here is the most interesting use of Jehovah in the Christian Greek scriptures at Luke 4:14-21:

"14 Now Jesus returned in the power of the spirit into Gal´i·lee. And good talk concerning him spread out through all the surrounding country. 15 Also, he began to teach in their synagogues, being held in honor by all.

16 And he came to Naz´a·reth, where he had been reared; and, according to his custom on the sabbath day, he entered into the synagogue, and he stood up to read. 17 So the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed him, and he opened the scroll and found the place where it was written: 18 “Jehovah’s spirit is upon me, because he anointed me to declare good news to the poor, he sent me forth to preach a release to the captives and a recovery of sight to the blind, to send the crushed ones away with a release, 19 to preach Jehovah’s acceptable year.” 20 With that he rolled up the scroll, handed it back to the attendant and sat down; and the eyes of all in the synagogue were intently fixed upon him. 21 Then he started to say to them: “Today this scripture that YOU just heard is fulfilled.”

The Hebrew scripture quotations come from Isaiah 61, where Jehovah's name is used twice. This is a direct quote from those scriptures.

What makes it interesting is who is doing the talking. :-)

Here is how the Restored Name KJV translates it:

14 And Yahushua returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about. 15 And he taught in their synagogues, being glorified of all. 16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up for to read. 17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Isaiah. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written, 18 The Spirit of יהוה‎ is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, 19 To preach the acceptable year of יהוה‎. 20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him. 21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

We are simply using a Anglicized version of the divine name. And, as you can see from the above-mentioned scriptures, it's the exact same name that Jesus himself used in preaching and teaching.

So we have a pretty strong and unimpeachable precedence for using God's personal name in our ministry.

Not all Christians use jehovah as God Almighty's name.

In fact The name jehovah was not in the original King James (AV).

The four places God's Name YHVH or YHWH or YHUH was taken phonically from German renditions and spelled IEHOUA

This in the middle English of the time would be

Yeah = IEH

wha = OUA

and today would be pronounced Yahwah

But J was added to the English language shortly after the original translating of the KJ(AV) and non scholars polluted a phonic

I = J

E = e

H = h

O = o

U = v

A = a

and added another h.

In fact jehovah is a demonic name.

Poor scholarship and bad transliteration and /or translation has justified using Jehovah.

God gave His name and that is His name not some really bad translation.

God Almighty's name was twisted and polluted over a period of time. This was a purposeful creation and apostasy.

Course of the pollution:

The Masoretes, who from about the 6th to the 10th century worked to reproduce the original text of the Hebrew Bible, replaced the vowels of the name YHWH with the vowel signs of the Hebrew word Adonai or Elohim.

Ramon Marti polluted the name of God. Ramón Martí was a monk of the Dominican order is the first recorded person using "Jehovah" and the spelling: "Yohoua". This variation is dated to A.D. 1270

Porchetus de Salvaticis uses several variations in his writing such as Iohouah, Iohoua and Ihouah in 1303

In 1518 Petrus Galatinus pens a work and spells God's name Iehoua.

““Here is the twisting””

The Hebrew "Y" translated to the Latin "I", which translated to the English "J" gave the consonant combination "JHVH"

The vowel points of "adonai" combined with "JHVH" created word "Jehovah".

_______

Jehovah is a very bad transliteration of God's Holy name. The English version "jeh hovah" is evil.

Jeh-

In some dialects "jeh" means "jinn" which is an evil spirit. 'Jeh' is also 'the whore' in Persian mythology. She is responsible for the death of the first man. Jeh is also used for a consort, paid or unpaid, outside of the marriage bond.

Hovah-

Strong's #1943 Hovah, another form for 1942; RUIN:-MISCHIEF "Mischief" as is meant means "bad intentions" or "of evil intent". ( If "havah" is used and not "hovah" then the name would be closer. Havah is "exist" but hovah is "ruin".)

'Jehovah' can be broken down into the 'whore of mischief' or ' demon of ruin' in Hebrew and Babylonian words. (Jah which is also used for Jehovah is short for Jabulon.)

• dlc

Isa 42:8 I am YEHOVAH, that is my name; and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise unto graven images.

Isa 52:5 Now therefore what have I here," declares YEHOVAH, "seeing that my people are taken away for nothing? Their rulers wail," declares YEHOVAH, "and continually all the day my name is despised.

Isa 52:6 Therefore my people shall know my name. Therefore in that day they shall know that it is I who speak; here am I."

- It is prophesied that the name of our Creator, YEHOVAH, will be forgotten for the name "lord" which in Hebrew is a translation from "Baal".

Jer 23:26 How long shall there be lies in the heart of the prophets who prophesy lies, and who prophesy the deceit of their own heart,

Jer 23:27 who think to make my people forget my name by their dreams that they tell one another, even as their fathers forgot my name for Baal?

- Baal = "lord":

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexico...

- In the English language we have the letter Y along with its sound which would accurately render the pronunciation of our Maker's name YEHOVAH. There is no reason to use the J sound which does not even exist in the original language of Hebrew.

- The two oldest and most reliable vocalized Hebrew manuscripts currently in existence, the Aleppo Codex and Leningrad Codex, support the pronunciation of YEHOVAH:

http://www.everlastingkingdom.info/article/54/do-y...

http://www.karaite-korner.org/yhwh_2.pdf

http://aramaicnt.com/Research/The%20Name%20of%20Go...

http://www.aleppocodex.org/

http://tanach.us/Tanach.xml#Home

- Salvation is only in the name of YEHOVAH, the Hebrew name of the NT Messiah is Yehoshua which literally translates as YEHOVAH is Salvation.

Isa 43:11 I, I am YEHOVAH, and besides me there is no savior.

- Only YEHOVAH can create and destroy.

Isa 45:7 I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am YEHOVAH, who does all these things.

Psa 118:8 It is better to trust in YEHOVAH than to put confidence in man.

Psa 118:9 It is better to trust in YEHOVAH than to put confidence in princes.

Psa 118:10 All nations compassed me about: but in the name of YEHOVAH will I destroy them.

Psa 118:11 They compassed me about; yea, they compassed me about: but in the name of YEHOVAH I will destroy them.

Job 1:21 And he said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. YEHOVAH gave, and YEHOVAH has taken away; blessed be the name of YEHOVAH."

Jehovah was an ancient name for God. Nothing to really do with the imposters.