laluxe asked in PetsCats · 9 years ago

How can I get my cat to stop peeing on my bed??? Please help!?

In December-January my step-brother came to stay with us for over a month...bringing his 2 large dogs, his 1 year old, and his wife. My cat was fine until I went to stay with my boyfriend for a week and she was left without me in the chaos. When I got back she had been peeing all over my bed. I've taken her to two different vets thinking she had an infection. The first one gave me antibiotics for her...even tho she was never able to test her urine. The second place I took her to, the doctor was very helpful in diagnosing her...saying she has FLUD. He said the only thing I could do at this point is try and reduce her stress level..and he gave me valium for her. I haven't tried giving her the valium yet because I don't know how I feel about giving her drugs...but I'm afraid I have no alternative. It's been months since my step-brother left. She NEVER had these issues before he came...even though we do have two small dogs who she gets along with rather well. She does really well until I have to go to work for longer than 6hrs. If I'm gone longer than that, I come home to pee on my bed and I'm basically washing my sheets EVERYDAY. Please help me! I don't want to get rid of her because she really is sweet...but I have no idea how to calm her down without drugging her all the time.

Ok...I could do without smart *** remarks. I'd have to write another "essay" explaining why she has to be in my room...so if anyone can actually provide useful suggestions on how to get her to stop this behavior instead of forcing to pee on something else outside of my bedroom...please let me know.

P.S.

She is neutered and strictly an indoor cat. I do not let her outside because she has really long hair and I don't want her to get nasty. Also, she is litter box trained, and she still uses her litter box to pee in...she ends up peeing once on my bed, then using her box again.

Best Answer

Cats sometimes engage in a behavior called urine spraying or urine marking. The cat stands, backs up to an object, holds his tail up erect and quivering, and releases urine out backwards onto the object. The urine sprayed differs chemically from the urine cats normally release from a squatting position because it also contains oily secretions from the anal glands. Sprayed urine is extremely pungent. Some people describe it as smelling like ammonia; others say it has a heavy musky odor. Cats occasionally spray from a squatting position.

Why do cats spray urine? They spray during territorial disputes, during aggressive conflicts, and during sexual encounters. The majority of cats who spray just do their spraying outside. They

advertise their presence in a territory by spraying visually conspicuous sites. Cats “time share” territories, so the marks enable the cats to space themselves out so that they don’t often meet. Some cats spray urine inside their homes. Often indoor spraying results from conflicts between cats in the home or from the resident cat feeling threatened by outside cats.

Most often, cats who spray are reproductively intact males (toms) but females do sometimes spray. Neutering is the most effective way to curb spraying in a tomcat. In one study, 77 percent of cats stopped or significantly reduced spraying within six months of being neutered. Neutered cats can spray as well. Ten percent of male cats neutered before 10 months of age will still spray as adults. In households with numerous cats, at least one cat will likely spray, even if all the cats are neutered.

WHAT TO DO:

- Neuter or spay the spraying cat.

- Identify the reasons why your cat may be spraying. For instance, if your cat is reacting to the sight of cats outside, block your cat’s view. If your cat is reacting to the scent of cats outside, possibly through a screen door or from odors on your shoes, prevent your cat from coming into contact with these scents. Keep the door closed and remove shoes outside, before entering the home.

- Discourage cats from hanging around outside your house. Motion-activated devices, such as the Critter Gitter™, the Scarecrow™, or the Scraminal™, all function to frighten outdoor cats away. The Scat Mat™ and the Sofa Saver™ can be used to keep outdoor cats away from doors and windows.

- If your cat is spraying in one or a few locations, you can make these areas less appealing, using some type of booby trap, such as Ssscat™. Ssscat™ is a motion-activated device that sprays the cat with a harmless but unpleasant aerosol. Alternatively, you can put out an “unwelcome mat” for the cat by placing foil, plastic wrap, or upside-down vinyl carpet runner where your cat sprays. Be aware that cats often just choose a new spot to spray.

- You can also try eliciting a different behavior in the sprayed locations. Place items that stimulate behaviors incompatible with spraying, such as the food dish or toys, in the spots.

- You can try placing a litter box in each location. If the cat is spraying on the wall beside the litter box, try attaching a liner on the wall and drape it down into the box. Should the cat spray there, the urine at least will drip down into the box.

- Spray Feliway™ in the areas where your cat is spraying. Feliway™ is a synthetic pheromone designed to elicit calm, friendly behavior in cats. Research supports the claim that Feliway™ reduces indoor urine spraying.

- If the spraying is due to conflict among resident cats, you should seek counsel on resolving the conflict. You may need to separate the cats or at least isolate the spraying cat until you are able to restore harmony. If this is not possible, re-homing to reduce your numbers may be the only viable solution. A spraying cat might not spray at all in a new home with fewer cats.

- Drug therapy can help resolve a spraying problem. There are numerous medications that have been demonstrated to be effective in individual cases—e.g., the Benzodiazepines (i.e. Valium), other anti-anxiety drugs (i.e. Clomipramine or BuSpar), or progestins.

- Make sure you clean sprayed areas with an enzymatic cleanser designed to eliminate odors.

- If you can do so safely, allowing the cat to spend time outside sometimes results in the cat spraying outside the home rather than inside. Building a large wire enclosure for the cat outside may be sufficient to stimulate him to spray outdoors.

WHAT NOT TO DO:

Do not punish your cat.

Is there something in your home that is new? Something unusual going on? She is feeling threatened by something so she is acting out this way to let everyone know that this is her domain. Have you been gone a lot lately? Ignoring her? Been somewhere that she can smell another animal on you? Think about what may have changed or upset her lately and maybe that will give you the answer. Good luck!!

1

Source(s): Avoid Cat Urine Marking http://emuy.info/StopCatSpraying

Your mattress should probably be thrown out at this point. But if you don't have the money to get one right away, go to your local pet store and ask for a product that makes cats stay away. As for why they do that, some cats when they feel their territory is being threatened may urinate or defecate in places they feel safe in. This includes changing their box, cleaning the house, or having loud and noisy company over. The best way to solve this is to clean the box a little less often (since you have 6 cats, this really is not an option), or to leave the trash bag you've thrown the litter in to remain on the floor while you finish changing the box (and use just a little less of that Lysol). Yes, it'll stink a little more, but your cats will go "okay, my poop is still here, and I still own this area." By the time the smell has faded (for them, not for you) they'll likely have gone back to the box to investigate and thus marked it with their paw-scent. But naturally, because your bed has become a place for your cats to mark with urine, they're unlikely to stop soon unless you give them some real incentive to stay away at all times - especially by keeping the door closed and scenting the room with cat-deterring odors.

• Wendy

Last year my beautiful Manx cat Theodore went out for the evening and never came back. I love cats and the house didn't feel the same without one, so I picked up Lola from a rescue centre. She was very frightened and would pee all over the house. I found Cat Spraying No More� on the internet and the techniques worked almost immediately. I haven't had a problem with Lola since. Amazing!

Can't stop your cat peeing in the house? Then worry no more...

You could try getting a different litter box. Your cat may have associated something bad with her litter box and doesn't want to use it. A new litter box with a new smell and new litter might be what she needs. Then leave a bowl of her favorite food on your bed for a little while so she won't pee there.

It is most likely your poor kitty is suffering from stress -- that seems to be the underlying cause for many "Litter Box Problems." Take a look at DearTabbyTheAnswerCat.com. They have an excellent article under "Cat Care" about "Litter Box Problems." Hope it helps.

Well you could try to litter-box train her. If that doesn't work you can use pee-pads like the ones people use for puppies. It might be because her nerves because cats don't like chaos that much. So maybe it's just her way of acting out and showing that she wants your attention.

I hope I can help.

no clue about health of cat but---closing off the bedroom best/most direct option. you don't keep the food/water near the litter box do you? they are clean critters, don't like to **** where they eat.

since outside is off- have you tried using different litter? we keep ours outside but when they were kittens they stayed in and were picky as hell on what litter they used.

she may be particular and not want to share the litter box so maybe put her box up high on a old table or such so it is "cats only" (especially if the dogs use them -dogs r filthy they know it better than we do and dont want to share with them anymore than you want to go in a gas station)

theres crystals (best for odor,pricey, may not use)

then sand (worst for you-they may like)

then you can make your own custom with dirt (from outside),sand,etc.. which they may take to as well.

also if the box is shared again own box up on a table with a mix she "approves" of and maybe throw some houseplants around it to give it the outdoor vibe. -if she does use it be sure to scoop it clean often as they may not like being in their own filth being sure to have food/water quite distant.

To preserve your sanity and bedclothes, put her to bed at night in this or a similar item. Put a litter box on the floor, and make sure she has water.

http://www.jefferspet.com/cat-playpen/p/MJ-P5/cn/1...

Put it in your room, and close the bedroom door, so she feels doubly safe.

To introduce her to the pen, I'd set it up and clip the door open, and put her inside, and call her out for a treat. Put a treat at each level to encourage her to explore during the day. When you do shut the door, do it without fanfare, and she may not even notice, especially if you drop a treat on the top level and then turn out the lights and go to bed.

Good luck.

Provide him a beautiful kennel with soft bed sheet.