Cities to stay in when visiting France?

Next summer I am visiting France with my school and need to pick out destinations. We were given a list of cities to choose from, but I don't know much on any of them except Paris. If someone could give me some info about what the community of each is like, tourist attractions (if there are any), life in general, and any other random information that would be really helpful.

The cities are:

Annecy

Caen

Cagnes-sur-Mer

Genève

Grenoble

Nantes

Paris

Salon-de-Provenece

Tours

Thanks a bunch! :)

• David
    Favorite Answer

While Annecy is indeed a beautiful city, I was unaware that it had been voted "most beautiful city in the world", Star Lune...

Anyway, any of those cities would be worth a visit. Grenoble and Geneva (which as she accurately pointed out is not in France but neighboring Switzerland) would provide ample opportunity to explore the Alps, while Salon-de-Provence and Cagnes-sur-Mer are located in Provence, a region renowned the world over for its beauty and proximity to the Mediterranean...

Paris (where I was born and used to live) is of course one of a kind, and there's not much I could say about it which hasn't already been said by countless other people.

I don't know Tours or Caen, but I've heard Tours is beautiful. Caen, if I'm not mistaken, was badly destroyed during WWII (as were many French cities on the English Channel), though that doesn't necessarily mean it lacks appeal to visitors.

Lastly, I've never been to Nantes but I've been told by someone who did go that it was the most beautiful city she visited in France.

In short, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these destinations.

Genève is not in France, it's in Suisse (Switzerland)!

All the cities have advantages and disadvantages, but Annecy, is known for being the most beautiful city in the world (and I agree with that).

The easiest way, is that you check it all in google, and see what is more convenient for you (if you want to swim in the sea, chose Cagnes sur Mer, for visiting castles and churchs chose Tours, etc).

• tedrow

Toulouse is a captivating city. there are various close by villages that are desirable for a outing and there is many stuff to work out interior the city to boot. it is observed as "the pink city" simply by fact most of the homes are pink/salmon colored. most of the persons residing in Toulouse are youthful college scholars.... it is a school city, even though it is not overly loud or loopy. I spent some time there or maybe nonetheless i did not bypass sightseeing plenty, what I did see became captivating and regular of southern France. I truthfully could advise it to you.