Has anyone gotten this weird e-mail?

I had received this e-mail today and it looks fishy. I do NOT have US Bank and I do NOT have a credit card from them either. They want you to send your personal info to them. Obviously I'm not dumb and didn't send them anything. It's weird because normally e-mails like this will go in to spam but it wasn't in my spam folder. Has anyone else gotten this e-mail yet?

Dear ,

We value our relationship with our card members. We would like to

thank you for your interest in receiving marketing and special

offers by email. If you wish to unsubscribe, you can do so at

anytime by following this link:

https://emailpreferences.usbank.com/emailPref/emai...

Unsubscribing from receiving LANPASS Visa(R) Card emails

does not unsubscribe you from receiving emails directly

from LAN Airlines.

To continue receiving these email communications from

LANPASS Visa(R) Card, no further action is required.

We look forward to serving your financial needs today and in the

future.

-The LANPASS Visa(R) Card Email Team

---------------------------------------------------------------

-P.S. Any changes to your marketing preferences will not

impact statement, payment or alert delivery.

The creditor and issuer of the LANPASS Visa(R) Card is

U.S. Bank National Association ND and the Card is available

to United States residents only.

To ensure that you continue to receive email from us, please add us

to your Address Book (1800USBanks@usbank-email.com). Thank you.

You are receiving this email as a courtesy from U.S. Bank.

Please know that you can modify your preferences or be removed

from our mailing list at any time:

View the U.S. Bank Privacy Pledge:

http://www.usbank.com/privacypledge

We will never send you an email asking for personal information.

Learn more at usbank.com.

http://www.usbank.com/

I got another e-mail stating that this specific e-mail was sent out to the wrong customers. But still how the hell does US Bank have my e-mail address? I'm NOT a customer there nor have I ever been and I definitely DO NOT have any credit cards linked to them. That's just weird.

Favorite Answer

I'm an employee at US bank, I'm not supposed to speak on their behalf, so I won't. But I can tell you what happened. This is not a phishing scam. It is not a virus.

Our marketing department was supposed to send that email solely to our LanPass Visa cardholders, LAN is an airline based out of Santiago, Chile and we service their credit card, but it got sent to everyone in their marketing database.

Source(s): My job

1

This is a hacking virus, just like the Epsilon scam that happened back in April. Bank, Credit Card Companies, nor any other Companies that provide you internet help (ie. Ebay, AOL, Yahoo, Facebook - for example) would send you a link asking for your password, or personal information. They know your password, and if you go to their sites after forgetting yours they will help you, it is not about helping them - but the other way around. People need to, have to, and must remember it is so easy now a days to copy a Companies HTML and make a site that looks like theirs. I am sure U.S. Bank's PR are writing a letter to all major media outlets and soon they will have a recording on their 800 number, explaining this is not a valid promotion. I received two Emails concerning Lanpass within the last twenty-four hours, neither were read or even opened by me; but both were sent to my spam folder as phishing mail.

Two other things to remember, when you open a Email from some company that is not the right address, there is always a chance that by opening the Email it can contain a virus, that will hack your information; clicking on a link is not the only way to get a virus. Also, opting out from receiving Emails from a link is another way they can confirm you have an active Email account, which can give them the green light to hit you with another scam under another bogus company name.

Be well,

Annie

Turns out I received a follow up e-mail from US Bank? I'm guessing it was an error of some kind, doesn't seem like your average scam. . . seems/looks very legit (as they don't ask for anything in the 1st e-mail anyways)

U.S. Bank - LANPASS Visa(R) Card

lanpassvisa.com

We wanted to quickly make you aware of an email you may have

received this evening, June 7, 2011.

An email regarding LANPASS Visa(R) Card was inadvertently sent

to your email address. While this was a legitimate email

sent from U.S. Bank, it was only intended for customers of

LANPASS Visa Card.

We sincerely apologize for any confusion or inconvenience this

may have caused you.

The U.S. Bank Email Team

to United States residents only.

To ensure that you continue to receive email from us, please add

us to your Address Book (1800USBanks@usbank-email.com). Thank you.

from our mailing list at any time:

View the U.S. Bank Privacy Pledge:

http://www.usbank.com/privacypledge

Learn more at usbank.com.

http://www.usbank.com/

U.S. Bank, EP-MN-L20D, 200 South 6th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55402

Source(s): My inbox

Never click on anything in an email from a financial institution or anyone you don't know. Set it up to go to spam. So if they send repeats it goes automatically to spam. I get tons of spam and a lot of it is from the same companies. A lot of them are financial institutions. Some of them look like legitimate adsfor products. Just delete them and make sure they go to spam next time.

I got both emails as well. The first went directly to my inbox yesterday, but I reported it as spam. I received the second follow up email this AM, but it went to my spam folder. Deleted both, and never opened either of them.

Probably a joke with the fact that this person used Charles Nelson Reilly for the picture. Although, if this person does it again, I'd tell em' to back off without emailing back & if that fails report em'. The reason why not to email back might be because of the fact that they might be using a spam scam tactic. I mean who'd imagine using someone else's celebrity identity? Imagine that. Speaking of humor Dr. Phil wasn't your voice--the same voice for SouthPark's counselor? mmmmkay? Did you used to go out with Oprah? mmmkay?

A US Bank employee might answer the question of how they got email addresses of people who have no connection to them. Apparently they harvest email addresses in the same manner of every other spammer.

I just received this email too. I don't have any Visa cards. This did not go to my spam file either.

I received the identical email yesterday - sent it to SPAM where it belongs. Do not click on any of the links - it's a fake.