anonymous asked in PetsFish · 9 years ago

Can beta fish live in plain tap water?

I'm getting a beta fish soon, but I don't know what kind of water they can live in. I got the filter, fake plants, gravel, and small fish tank. But can they just live in plain tap water? And do they need a heater? Please answer!!

Best Answer

Tap water is fine as long as you treat it with a good dechlorinator first. I use Tetra Aquasafe and it works really well.

The best environment for a bettas is a 5 gallon tank with a heater and a filter. A heater is very important because betta's are tropical fish and need a steady temperature of 78-82 degrees. I also recommend cycling the tank before you add your fish to it. If you don't know what cycling is you can look up "Nitrogen Cycle" online, that will explain everything you need to know about how to safely cycle your tank.

Also, plastic plants aren't a good idea to have. Betta's fins are very delicate and they can easily snag on plastic plants or rough decorations causing them to tear. I recommend doing the "pantyhose test" on all of your plants and decor. Take a pair of pantyhose and rub them across your decorations, if they snag, then it's too rough for your betta's fins.

These are just a few tips to help you out so you can bring your betta home to a healthy and safe environment.

Good luck!

Source(s): Proud betta lover and owner : )

You can use tap water as long as you condition it first to treat all the unsafe metals or chlorine in the water. You can get a bottle of water conditioner at pets mart or other pet stores. Yes, bettas do need a heater they are tropical fish and need a minimum tank size of 5 gallons. For plants make sure you have a coulpe of tall ones that they can lay on, and soft plants because their fins are delicate. And most IMPORTANT THING cyle you tank first BEFORE you get your fish. I have seen many people on yahoo answers that ask questions on why their fish had died when they got a new tank. You have to cycle your tank to get the filter used to filtering out the harmful nitrate, ammonia, and waste in the water to maintain good water qualitiy, if you don't do this your fish will most likely end up dying due to "new tank syndrome" the ammonia and nitrate will end up killing your fish. If you do not know how to cycle your tank their are plenty of sites that will tell you how to cycle a tank properly. Good luck and enjoy your new betta! (:

Source(s): I have 3 tropical fish tanks (1 betta)

Plain water meaning tap water? Odds are water from your tap contains chlorine, chloramine, and heavy metals. I would always use water conditioner. A single male betta should have about a five gallon aquarium, a gentle filter and an aquarium heater. Bowls are not appropriate for fish- they lack swimming space, stable/healthy water conditions, and heat.

Yes you can put beta fish in tap water but if it city water you need to let the chlorine in the water to sit for a day so it will evaporate out of the water

Source(s): beta fish owner
  • Ganal

They can but you must remove the chlorine, heavy metals and chloramines first. Water conditioner will work to do that.

Yes, you also need a heater. A betta should have at least 5+ gallons, a filter and a heater. Bettas are a tropical fish, without a heater they will be inactive and ill.

Tap water may contain chlorine residue from the treatment process, so use a water conditioner to be sure it's safe.

Betta prefer the water temp to be 75-80F, so unless your room is always really warm, get a tank heater.

Ian

hell nooo no fish can live streight outta tap water you need to buy a product called water conditioner tht removes chlorine and chloramine and lead and other stuff from tap

it is very cheap and it lasts a long time i bought a medium bottle for my 10g and do water changes 20% weekly and i still using it i had it for a year now it cost around 2-4 dollers from walmart

If you have city water No it has chlorine in it, if it is well water without additives it will be fine. Remember to let it warm to room temperature before adding your Beta. If your using city water the pet store will have drops that remove the chlorine.

No they don't need a heater.

Source(s): I have beta fish

Just get water conditioner. You will find them in your local pet store.

yes