Been scammed on eBay, what now?

I have been scammed on ebay (a large PC monitor).

The seller had 100% feedback when I originally bought the item, but I recently checked the feedback and negative feedback of other eBayers has appeared so it is pretty obvious what is going on.

I already have the seller's address and all his details (gained through private investigation for a small fee).

I already have his address BUT

out of interest, when I report it to Paypal or eBay will they provide me with his address?

I am seriously considering handing this info over to the police, please advise!

Favorite Answer

You don't mention how you got scammed but you have to file a dispute with Ebay/Paypal within 45 days of your purchase. You will get your money refunded if you have proof you were scammed

If Paypal refunds you then there is no crime

The police are not going to get involved - this is a civil matter, not criminal. And Ebay CANNOT provide you with a person's address to to privacy protection laws. If there is crime and a court order, then Ebay could only provide the seller's address to law enforcement if they had a subpoena, not to you.

And if you follow Ebay/Paypal's resolution policy and get your money back then no crime has been committed

You have to lodge a paypal dispute asap. This put a hold on the money. Provided he hasn't already skipped ie closed his paypal account, you can get your money back. If you used a credit card through paypal you can go to the card provider as well. They are good at getting money back!

Other than that, it's fraud and a matter for the police, but don't expect it to be fast or successful, especially if the seller is in another country!

I've been using eBay and paypal nearly 10 years now. I only deal with sellers of over 200 feedback over a period of time and I check what they have been selling ie not 200 $1 things! I have had a few problems but not many. Also, I don't deal with china or Russia or any weird places only US, UK, Australia ie big, safe countries with good legal systems!

Wishing you well,

Have you actually been scammed or simply going from what feedback they now have??

If the seller took the money but did not send the item, you MUST report it to Ebay. They can try and resolve the situation, depending on what has gone on, OR you make call to your local police station IF the situation cannot be resolved. Ebay/Paypal will help you decide.

No need to get some court order, Ebay and the Police will deal with it.

Trust me, even with a fake address and name, the police can investigate. I have a friend of a friend, who nearly got sent down for doing something fraud on Ebay and used fake names. Didn't take long for the police to find them!

EDIT: KittySue in the UK the police DO get involved. Fraud is not a civil matter.

As I said, I have had the police involved and we won back our money!!!

Ebay/Paypal will tell you to call the police. They told us to!!

Source(s): Had the police sort out a fraudster! MAKE sure YOU follow the rule book, to cover yourself, so get onto Paypal. Never mind this cloke and dagger *gaining information for a small fee* You may well incriminate yourself. Ebay seller for 5 yrs

in the firstinstance you should contact paypal if you paid through them you will be able to get your money back... ebay will not divulge any details to third parties, but they have to to the police. However, you have to have enough evidence firstly to persuade them that it was this person, and secondly if you wish tp oersue it via the criminal route you will have to persuade the police that they should be interested!

( on a visit to the UK our bank account was cleared out by a scanning devise on a bank cashpoint ) the police stated it was fraud..( which technically speaking is not true) and told us to go to the bank! Even though we had the times of the withdrawals and the card was a foreign one( all they needed to do was play the bank CCTV and find the thief!!)

This aside, the police are lazy and uneducated as far as online transactions are concerned and this will be another case of cyber fraud which they probably will not be interested in.

As you already have the persons details you could bring a civil case against them, which has a lesser burden of proof (balance of probabilities) as far as actual damage is concerned.... this is going to be a long and expensive buisness.....

Firstly I should speak to ebay and try to get this shiyster blocked, there maybe more than one person out there more than fed up! and try and get yout lolly back from paypal.

Maybe ebay could contact the police if he's done it more than once

good luck

Source(s): Husband network architect ebay group germany me 3rd year LLB student

eBay will try to recover your money. They will NOT provide an actual address without a court order. The address you have, AND the address eBay has are BOTH phony.

Yo he comprado de muchas veces ordenadores en los sitios web y siempre he encontrado la mejor calidad, el ultimo ordenador es para una amiga, la verdad es que parece especial creado para ella porque tiene un disco duro con una excelente capacidad de almacenaje y va bastante rápido por su gran memoria y su buen procesador, muy buena compra sin duda.

ebay and pay pal will do very little, try the police but you will need a lot of proof of a crime

If you paid by paypal, raise a dispute.

You've got his address? heh that's all you need - oh and a baseball bat.

HUNT AND KILL THE MOTHERFUCKER AND BURN DOWN HIS HOUSE AND **** ON HIS CAR AND TELL THE POLICE HE IS INVOLVED IN BEASTIALITY