Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 9 years ago

BEST B/W MOVIE OF ALL TIME?

Almost any b/w just love them...for pointers recently saw Carlie Chaplin in Modern Times, as well as that sixties one Repulsion

• Favorite Answer

Sunset Boulevard from 1950 starring Gloria Swanson as the aging silent film star Norma Desmond. It is a creepy movie from start to finish, but definetly one of the best. It was nominated for 10 Academy Awards for the 1951 ceremony including Best Picture, and Best Actress for Gloria Swanson. Its really ironic because Gloria at this time was considered to be an aging film star, her career did make the transition into talkies but she soon lost popularity.

Sunset lost the Best Picture Oscar to another one of my favorite films All About Eve starring the always amazing Bette Davis, Celeste Holm, Anne Baxter and featuring one of Marilyn Monroe's first speaking roles. All About Eve tells the story of Margo Channing the best actress in theater who is slowly being upstaged by her biggest fan Eve Harrington. Its an amazing movie, one I can watch again and again.

But then you can never go wrong with anything by the beautiful and astounding Audrey Hepburn. Check out Roman Holiday and Sabrina if you haven't.

Another actress you could never go wrong with is the Swedish talent Greta Garbo, her films such as Ninotchka, Grand Hotel, Camille and Anna Christie are considered to be among the best films ever, with Grand Hotel actually winning the Academy Award for the Best Picture of 1932. She was a silent film star who became one of the last stars to attempt to make the transition, and when she did people flocked to theaters to hear Garbo's first spoken lines on film which were "Gif me a vhisky, ginger ale on the side, and don't be stingy, baby!"

Hope I Helped! :D

• emjob

I assume B/W stands for black and white?

My favourite ever is 'Whistle Down the Wind'

Although I also love '12 Angry Men', 'Carry on Sergeant', 'The Night of the Hunter' and the movie adaptation of 'Hobson's Choice' starring John Mills.

I have a few.

Psycho

Night of the Living Dead

Schindler's List

Key Largo...