Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesToyota · 10 years ago

Toyota Tacoma 4WD use?

I have a manual transmission 2004 Toyota Tacoma 3.4 L V6 TRD Off Road 4x4 SR5

When I want to put this truck in four wheel drive, do I need to stop, put it in 4 wheel drive then back up then start driving or what?

I want to take it in the mud and trails and stuff but when i put it in 4wd, i'm not sure whether to back up first or not. instructions please?

Favorite Answer

Its best if you ask someone that has a Tacoma and has the

knowledge about these trucks and finding a forum and asking

them the question would be the best possible answer so you

dont ruin your tranny. Should try Tacomaworld.com they should

answer any questions you may have

Source(s): DH
  • Eric P

Your truck has full shift-on-the-fly 4wd. You can shift into and out of 4wd-hi at any speed (I think the manual recommends under 50 mph, but hopefully you won't be going over 50 when you need 4wd). You can also shift from 4wd-hi to 2wd at any speed. You don't even need to push in the clutch.

There's no need to back up--that only applied to earlier, automatic locking hubs. Just shift into 2wd-hi at any speed. It may take a few seconds for the front axle to disengage and the indicator light to go out.

In order to shift into or out of 4wd-low, it's best to be at a stop, although the owners manual likely says 5 mph or less. Push in the clutch or shift the transmission into neutral when you shift into or out of 4wd-low.

The only thing to avoid is shifting into 4wd-hi while the rear wheels are spinning (slipping). You don't want to the back tires to be spinning and the front tires to be stopped when you shift into 4wd. If the truck gets stuck while in 2wd, stop sending power to the back wheels, shift into 4wd and then proceed.

• Bill S

from 2WD to 4WD high range shifts can be made anywhere from stop up to 62mph ( I don't suggest doing so but the manual says it can be done).

from 2WD to 4WD Low Range or From 4WD High Range to Low Range. Stop completely shift to neutral, shift to 4WD high range then into low range.

Your truck is equipped with automatic disconnect front axle. You do not need to drive forward or backward to disengage the system, however in order for the front axle to engage it usually takes about 1 complete revolution of the front wheels to engage completely so your shift to 4WD should be done before you get into a situation that requires 4WD or you may not be able to move enough to get the system to engage.

2004 Tacoma 4x4