Jake asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 9 years ago

I may have accidently overcharged visa gift card?

I registered an account for the app store for my itouch and I bought some apps. But I had about 26 dollars left on it when I bought those apps and if you include tax I definitely overspent. The reason I say this is because when I called the number to check my balance on the card, it said I still have 26 dollars and some odd cents. My card was never charged and I still got the apps. Either someone else screwed up or the billing wad delayed for some reason. I emailed the customer service and am waiting for a reply. I am freaked out and don't want to go to prison over this! I just want to pay whatever i owed! I never meant to spend money I don't have, heck I have more than enough money in cash to pay whatever may not have been paid. What do I do???

Favorite Answer

Nope, your not going to jail. You not even going to get a slap on the wrist. The other poster is correct it is virtually impossible to overdraft or overcharge a gift card. It is more like a debit card for a new account holder. If the money is not there the charge does not take place.

There are a few things that may be happening. I'm aware that "some" gas companies only charge your credit card $1 when you buy gas then 2 to 4 days later the real amount shows on the debit or charge card. Think about it. You pull up to the pump then swipe your card enter your pin or zip code, (note the gas pump has no crystal ball, it doesn't know how much gas you will pump however it approved your card) then you pump your gas. Its up to you if you fill it up or stop at a desired amount.

There are a few reasons for doing this. Keep in mind it is a credit card holders responsibility to remember or know how much they have charges verses what their credit limit is. It may change in the future as gas prices increase but the gas station attendant would be inundated with customers if they were unable to pay for enough gas especially if they thought they had the funds. The Gas station knows this confrontation should preferably be avoided and there are contract agreements between the gas company and credit card company that also play into this dollar charge. It's more of a built in convenience. Again this is with Gas for the car. With Apple it may be a similar concept. Also it might depend on how long you have had an account with Apple however it sounds like your a new user. My guess is Apple has control over your apps. I'm sure they can delete or negate a transaction whereby you ap no longer appears or when you go to open said app it may say contact Apple customer service. In a worse case scenario Apple might not allow you to purchase anymore applications until you simply pay the minimal amount of money your overly worried about.

Keep in mind Banks and Credit card companies make BIG MONEY off our mistakes. I think they do this $1 charge: a) just to verify its a valid card and b) They actually make more money if we go over our limit. I have an RV that holds 100 gallons. I was flabbergasted when I went on-line after 2 fill-ups and saw my balance only dropped $2. It should have dropped $600+ (back when Diesel was 3.xx/gal) It was also a 3 day holiday. After the entire weekend and I think it was after 2pm on Tuesday the dollar charges turned into about $300 each. Maybe Apple charges 1 cent per app? They know that the odds are in their favor , even if you have a zero balance that you will eventually pay for your application. Also understand that the Apps are not tangible property. They are lines of code. There is no significant loss even if they didn't get paid.

Its not like you have committed wire fraud or violated the Federal Communications Commission act. You've "MIGHT" have made a simple mistake. NO BIG DEAL. Goodness I hope no crook comes across this post. It would be easy for one to see how they could fill up ten times with a 10 dollar gift card. No doubt the gas stations will soon update their computers to do real-time charges when it comes to gift style cards.

PS I could be wrong however I think there is an option to enter your online Apple ipod account and change or add another credit or debit card. Then again it might complicate matters Just wait and see what happens. It might make you feel better to call their customer service line (I assume they have one) You might be able to avoid some weird charge similar to an NSF or Uncollected funds charge that a bank charges. BTW I would dispute any such charges vigorously because there should be checks and balances that keeps that sort of thing from happening. Common sense tells one that it should be impossible to, I'll use the word OVER-SPEND on a GIFT card. Poor Grandmother.

Source(s): RING, RING, Hi Grandmother. Could you send me $ 300 to cover that $10 gift card that you gave me for my birthday? I bought 10 iPod applications more than my limit and Apple wants $30 per transaction that I made over the limit and I already spent my allowance. Yea right let the press get hold of that one...

First of all, take a deep breath and calm down. :) Feel better? Next, you have taken all the action that you can. It is now up to Visa and the app store to resolve the difference. I don't think you can really "overdraw" on a gift card. My guess would be one of two things will happen. Either they will delete some of the apps, or they will ask you for an alternate method of payment.

I had a similar incident with a B&N card. It said I spent more than I had on the card, and the alternate payment method was my old credit card. They sent me an e-mail a day or so later, I gave them the updated payment information, and all was well. :)

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You won't get in legal trouble for this. You are taking the right steps and being honest.

NO DON'T LISTEN TO THAT GUY... HE'S A BUFFOON. IT'S A GIFT CARD... OWNERSHIP OF THE CARD CAN EASILY BE TRANSFERRED. IF YOU ARE SKILLED ENOUGH TO OVERCHARGE THE GIFT CARD WHICH RESULTS IN A NEGATIVE BALANCE, GOOD FOR YOU(MAD SKILLS), I SUGGEST YOU TRANSFER THE OWNERSHIP OF THE GIFT CARD TO ANOTHER ENTITY. THIS IS WHAT I DO PERSONALLY, I LIKE TO CHANGE THE REGISTRATION ADDRESS TO ANY ADDRESS THAT IS NOT MINE, SOMETIMES EVEN AN ADDRESS THAT DOESN'T EXIST FOR EXAMPLE: 1337 ELITE ST SOUL SOCIETY, NY 13337 AFTER I REGISTER THE ADDRESS TO A RANDOM ADDRESS, I THEN PROCEED TO TAKE THE GIFT CARD AND ENTRUST IT TO ANY PUBLIC TRASH CAN. SINCE I GIFTED THE CARD TO THE TRASH CAN, AND IT IS IN POSSESSION OF IT, I CAN LEGALLY SAY I'M NOT THE OWNER OF GIFT CARD ANYMORE, AND I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE STATUS OF THAT CARD. YOU GET THE PICTURE. BUT IN CASE SOME BOZOS OUT THERE DON'T GET THE PICTURE HERE'S THE BRIEF GIST OF GIFT CARDS AND HOW THEY WORK: A GIFT CARD IS A GIFT, THERE ISN'T A NAME ON IT, THEREFORE TO PROVE BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT THAT A GIFT CARD IS INDEED YOURS, YOU WOULD HAVE BE CAUGHT RED HANDED WITH CARD IN YOUR POSSESSION. AND IF YOU ARE SILLY ENOUGH TO GET CAUGHT WITH A GIFT CARD THAT CARRIES A NEGATIVE BALANCE... THEN REALLY, YOU DESERVED TO GET CAUGHT. THAT'S ALL FOLK !! -GIFTCARD JAILBREAKING PIONEER.

For Credit and finance solutions I visit this website where you can find all the solutions. http://personalfinancesolutions.info/index.html?sr...

RE :I may have accidently overcharged visa gift card?

Follow 4 answers

Source(s): For Credit and finance solutions I visit this website where you can find all the solutions. http://personalfinancesolutions.info/index.html?sr...

I had a visa gift card and ordered something from the internet and they didnt charge me till a week later so I thought I had more money than i did (i thought .they just forgot to charge me..joke was on me!) They probably just havent processed it yet. it will all work out!!