Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

My cousin likes SciFi, should I buy him a Bible, Book of Mormons, or Dianetics for his birthday?

Favorite Answer

You can't go wrong with Dianetics, except it will cost you ... first Dianetics, then the investment in a $40,000 Mak-Cass 8" apochromatic refractor to see where exactly the alien spaceship is orbiting Pluto. Just remember, if the spaceship fails to materialize, you can return the scope as being defective and get all your money back.

I think Dianetics is more SciFi. The Bible and Book of Mormon are more fantasy.

Dianetics might be interesting for him... but I would also consider "The Satanic Bible", "The Necronomicon", and "The Book of Subgenius"

to enjoy the privilege of their religion are not satisfied, but want to go where there is more money. Money is their god. Go - go after it and worship it as much as you please, and trouble us not. Go your way rejoicing as much as you can; but you will have sorrow in that course. Instead of bettering your condition, you will make it a great deal worse. Your spirits will sink into darkness and wretchedness, and you will go your way mourning instead of rejoicing.

JD 8:168, Brigham Young, September 16, 1860

It is reported that thousands of persons will soon be on Strawberry Creek, a little east of the South Pass. What are they after? Some one, they say, has found sand with a little gold dust in it. There is their god again, and hosts are coming running after it. The world is after riches; riches is the god they worship. It is a marvel that they do not discover the emptiness of earthly riches, when hundreds are going out like a candle burnt down in the socket. We know that we are here, and how soon we shall go hence we know not. Perhaps some of us may be called from this life before to-morrow morning, and some, perhaps, before sunset will pass into the spirit-world. But that does not lessen the appetite for gold. I do not know that a miser's appetite for gold would be lessened in the least degree, if he knew that he would be required to leave it to-morrow.

Such riches can give no real enjoyment. There is no happiness in gold, not the least. It is very convenient as an article of exchange, in purchasing what we need; and instead of finding comfort and happiness in gold, you exchange it to obtain happiness, or that which may conduce to it. There is no real wealth in gold. People talk about being wealthy - about being rich; but place the richest banking

I have a better suggestion than all of those. Buy him the Dune novels, and get him hooked into following the Golden Path of Mu'ad Dib and Leto II the Sandworm.

"He who controls the Spice controls the universe..."

Source(s): Shai hulud!

dianetics seems like the best bet, theres nothing scientific about the first two

Source(s): atheist
  • Sam

Um...try a Sci Fi comic book.

Well those are all Mythology or Religious Fiction. Now if you said he was a LARPer than I could see some interest.

Source(s): "My +1000 Omnipotent Deity casts death on your Xenu Thetan Army!! Now I shall finish the quest to find the Golden Book of Mormon buried haphazardly in the Desert!!"

no that is more make belive fiction not SciFi fiction

There is no science involved in any of those.