Why does Maryland tax food?

I am from Ohio and we do not tax food, we went on a road trip last week and stopped for a bottle of water and they charged my tax, I was a little confused. How many states charge tax on food and is it a matter of time before all the states do that?

Favorite Answer

For sales and use tax purposes, soft drinks, bottled water, alcoholic beverages, candy and confectionery are not "food." The sale of any of these items is, therefore, not entitled to any of the exemptions for sales of food, including the exemptions for sales of food by volunteer fire companies and veterans organizations. Neither water nor ice is food, although they may be treated as food when sold as components of food.

Maryland does not charge a tax on regular food bought in a grocery store. There are lots of exceptions depending on when you plan to eat the food etc.

Source(s): Wikipedia has a good summary of sales tax laws in all states.
  • ambach

Maryland Food Tax

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Why does Maryland tax food?

Source(s): maryland tax food: https://tr.im/cpt9e
  • ?

Some states and provinces tax items you'd consume because they are not considered "food" but "luxury" items. Bottled water is a non-essential (drink tap water) and has a detrimental effect to the environment because of all the plastic bottles ending up in landfills or for which extra energy has to be spent in recycling.

I'm sure if you went into a grocery store and picked up a bag of apples you wouldn't be taxed.

Hmm i thought everywhere they taxed food. Anyway they tax food so our evil corrupt government can get more of our money.

• tro

sales taxes will depend on the state's legislatures