Chances of getting into west point?

I am a Sophomore currently going to a high school in Michigan. I have a 3.75 gpa with honors and ap credits. I participate in two sports, Cross Country and Lacrosse (I also do power lifting). For Clubs I do a program called CATS connect which tutors students with their studies. Also, I have been projected to score a 29-32 on the ACT. I come from a lower class family if that affects the selection process.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Tom
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Chances will definitely increase with a 32 on the Act as opposed to a 29. A 32 is getting into scholastic based Loa range. Suggest also taking the Sat even though it is not as prevalent in the Midwest. It is on the east Coast as it has roots in the ivy league. Some students do much better on one exam than on the other. The Psat Math only tests Algebra 1 and Geometry. The Sat Math also tests Algebra 2 and the Act Math adds Trig into the mix. You will want competitive scores on the Psat, Plan, Sat or Act by Mid December when West Point begins to accept applications for SLS. Competitive scores are upper 600's low 700's on the Sat. Upper 60's low 70's on the Psat. Act upper 20's Low 30's. According to Colonel Batchelder at around the 1:20 mark of this video that was on the West Point website till it was redesigned a couple of months ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRWc9GiSMCA

Youtube thumbnail

Your math level will play a part in which exam you are able to achieve the most competitive scores. Usafa Summer Seminar begins accepting applications on December 1. Usna Summer Seminar on Feb 1. Most of the candidates competitive for an Loa(letter of assurance) who are not athletic recruits have taken Alg 2 as a sophomore or freshman and are already taking the Sat during Sophomore year. This is also true for most highly selective universities. Note that around 30% of the West Point freshman class are members of West Point varsity athletic teams and most were athletic recruits. A significantly higher percentage of female Cadets were athletic recruits.

On page 19 of Chapter 2 of the Naval Academy Catalog, there is guidance offered on which classes to take to make oneself competitive for selection. This is also relevant for West Point and Usafa. The classes are arranged in a hierarchy. Also note that for the past several years the Naval Academy Summer Seminar application which is the same as the Preliminary Application, has only asked for grades in high school Math, English, Chemistry and Physics classes. The West Point SLS application and Usafa ask for overall Gpa and Class Rank. The Academies look at weighted Gpa and class rank based on weighted Gpa and the competitive level of the high school measured by the percentage of the class continuing on to 4 year colleges. Cross Country and Lacrosse are a good combination of sports for prepping for a service academy. Suggest doing the community service necessary to join NHS as membership is considered leadership and around 2/3 of each service academy class have been members. Unless you are working a job during the school year, another main line non athletic school based extracurricular activity that you can show leadership in might be a good idea if you can manage it without negatively affecting grades- yearbook, school newspaper, student govt, debate team, drama etc If you have a good chance of being selected for Boy's State, that is considered by the Academies to be equivalent to Eagle Scout or Billy Mitchell and a great achievement. The Academies actively recruit at these events. Suggest starting an extracurricular reading program this summer. I hear asking about one's non-required reading is a common question during the Malo Interview. Will also help immensely with Sat Cr and Writing scores. Look up unknown words in a dictionary and write down the meanings.

http://reading.berkeley.edu/

For colleges that require them, be sure to decide which courses you will take Sat Subject exams in and then schedule the Sat Subject exams to coincide with the Ap or Final exam in the course.

The Air Force Academy website offers outstanding advice to students prepping for a service academy, rotc scholarship or any highly selective university. Open all links to the left of the dialog box:

http://www.academyadmissions.com/#Page/Preparation

The selection process is nearly identical at West Point, the Air Force Academy, and Naval Academy, so, whatever is stated on one service academy website or in its catalog with regard to admissions generally holds for the others. If you read the following answer and open the links it should help to explain the selection process and the path to an appointment:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Akhc0...

Good Luck!

• 4 years ago

My kid. Junior ROTC for four years, graduated as a Cadet Major. On the drill team four years. Advance diploma with a B+ average. Two years of college level foreign language with a 3.75 average on top 10 years of the same language since in Kindergarten. To say he speaks the language proficiently would be an understatement, he speaks it as a native and it is actually one that is useful to the services (NOT Spanish.). Perfect health. Could not even get a recommendation from our local Senators due to other having better records. Now you....A.B and C's. What is your GPA?..... Team sports. Were you team captain for any of them? What do you have to show any kind of leadership skills? Class president? Scout Leader? Troop Leader? If you really want to get into West Point you need to get serious about it. Take hard classes such as Physics, Chemistry, and a tough math course each semester. Get good grades in those classes. If your school does not have JR ROTC then does another school in your district have it? Check about volunteering with the Civil Air Patrol. If either of your parents are eligible to join the VFW or American Legion maybe you can get on one of their drill teams. Exercise and get fit. Do not get busted for anything.....specially drugs. ... You still have a shot at it but you need to put goofing off on your "DO NOT DO" list and get busy...

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

u need to be the #1 graduating student with a perfect GPA and hope you are in a large school where the competition is fierce and you may have a 5% chance of getting in.

• WRG
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

You've got the grades. Keep them up. Same with the sports. Do some additional public service and you should be good.

You might also consider going ahead and contacting one of your congress peoples office and asking what the process is for requesting their appointment.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.