disabled person on a flight?

I have an aunt that wants to fly to Newark, in the us, on continental. She is disabled and has to use a wheelchair. She has problems with her legs and is a big woman. Does this airline have special disabled seats ? or a special disabled section of the plane ? and how do you book them ? I know they have extra leg room seats that you pay extra for but how much are they from uk to newark ? When a carer is with the disabled person do they sit in the same seating area ? we are hoping to fly before the end of the month.

Thanks

• Best Answer

I am a Disabled PWD and have flown on commercial airliners. I have always requested wheelchair service and received wheelchair service from the airlines at the airport.

From what I have experienced and seen, planes do NOT have a special Disabled section on planes.

Wheelchair users are not allowed to sit next to emergency exits seats.

Planes do have some seats with removable armrests and some sections do have extra leg room.

Wheelchair users do not have to wait in line at the security check point and is given priority service at security check point.

Wheelchair users preboard first and deplane last.

Can request wheelchair powerlift up to the plane if there is not a walkway to the plane.

Wheelchair user can request portable narrow "aisle chair" to take them to plane seat once they leave the wheelchair behind.

Carer for the Disabled person can sit in the same seating area if both tickets are booked at same time.

If bringing own wheelchair, the wheelchair can be brought onboard and stored in plane closet if there is room.

If there is not room in plane closet for the wheelchair, then the the wheelchair can be stored in the plane cargo area.

By federal USA law, airlines can not charge a wheelchair user freight charges on their personal wheelchair.

Check with airline for prices of plane tickets.

Source(s): *Both me and my only child are Social Security Administration Federal Registered-Certified-Recognized Disabled Persons With Disabilities.* I am also a State Registered-Certified-Recognized Disabled Person With Disabilities. * I am also a Registered-Certified-Recognized Member of the Ectodermal Dysplasias International Registry.* I am also a Registered-Certified-Recognized Member of the National Foundation of Ectodermal Dysplasias* *I am proud to be a "Gimp", a "Crip", a "Cripple", a "Capper", a "Wheelie", a "Wheeler", a "Freak ", and a "PWD Freak"!* *AFO WC PMD TDD-TTY STS-RS PHPSSP RCRMEDIR RCRMNFED MLRCRD SSA PSD-PD-PWD* *PWDRHIP* *Wowasakeikcupi! * Creator-Originator of the phrases of - Pulling PWD Rank - PWD Insiders Language - Person With Disabilities Rank Has Its Privileges - PWDRHIP*.

She can store her regular wheelchair as baggage, and she'll have to use sort of a purpose build wheelchair to get on and off the plane, the airline/airport will provide this. I don't fly all that often, perhaps twice a year or so, but I've never noticed any special sections reserved for the disabled. The only real rule about where a person in a wheelchair can sit, is that they aren't allowed to sit on an emergency exit row. Depending on how large your aunt is, she may be required to pay for two seats. Different airlines have different standards of what constitutes someone being too large for a single seat, and some are pretty arbitrary about it as well. Since this is an international flight, you might find business or first class seats to be more accommodating. If she has a carer, the carer will have to pay for a ticket as well, but as long as you book the two (or three) seats, the carer should be able to sit close by if not right next to her.

I use a wheelchair and have been on the airlines quite a bit.

Most of the time (except once) I stayed in my own wheelchair until the moment before getting on the plane, when I got into an aisle chair (I can't walk at all so I needed it to go down the aisle- the aisles are too narrow for regular wheelchairs). These aisle chairs are very narrow so I think it would be difficult (but not impossible) for a very large person to sit on them, but anyway maybe your aunt can walk down the aisle -you said she has problems with her legs but she can walk for a short bit?

I have not ever seen a special section for people with disabiltiies on the plane. The seats are quite small so large people do sometimes have to buy 2 seats. Sometimes the arm rests go up and sometimes they don't. If you can stand for a bit it does not matter as much. Airline personnel have helped me over the armrests when they don't go up (I don't stand up) but I'm not heavy.

If you book the seats together, most likely you will get a seat next to or near your aunt.

Bathrooms on the plane - very small - but if it's a short flight I don't use them. I have used them on long (11 hour) flights and it's a big production - they have to bring me the aisle chair again (and I have to ask beforehand to make sure it's going to be on board) and I have to use a few gymnastics to get onto the toilet (which I can only do because the bathroom is so small that the toilet is close to the door). I don't know if your aunt will need to use the bathroom (to UK, most likely) on the flight or if she can walk to it if she does.

But you need to call the airline and ask them how they specifically do things and make sure they are prepared for her needs - If I book the seat on the phone, I ask about that at the same time. If I have booked it online with a travel website ( discounts), I call the airline later and mention the wheelchair.

She gets on the plane first and leaves last.

I'm not familiar with the extra leg room seats that you pay extra for, that must be specific to the airline. I've only used the regular ones with very little leg room except the last time I flew, i was just lucky and got one with a lot of leg room. Business class is much more comfortable if you can afford it.

Some people say the airlines have lost their wheelchair. It has never happened to me.

I have found airline personnel to be very helpful and friendly 95% of the time.

Source(s): traveled on airplanes and use a wheelchair
  • Each airline is different, but some things are the same. Carers do not fly free. Carers are assigned seats like everyone else.

Airlines can put a scooter or wheelchair in with suitcase storage. They lend you a wheelchair to use while in the airport. You can take that wheelchair right up to the plane. SOME airlines let you keep your chair up to the plane. Smaller wheelchair and scooters can be stored on the plane.

All airlines have special designated seats for people with disabilities. They might or might not have armrests that fold up. They might have extra leg room. Each plane is different.

You need to call the airline you will fly and find out what the rules of that airline are and what each plane provides.

It is best to check the airline's website for this information. Accommodations, prices and policies vary from airline to airline. They can also change week to week.

As for the seats:

"Certain seats are made available free of charge to persons with a disability if the request is made at least 24 hours in advance of the scheduled flight. Please call our Disability Desk in Reservations at 800.228.2744 for information concerning available accommodations including:

an aisle chair to access the aircraft

a seat in a row with a movable aisle armrest

any other seat that provides greater legroom than other seats on the side of the aisle that best accommodates a disability

adjoining seats"

NO.... the feds say nomore retards as flight attendants because of the tragady back in 1982. A flight attendant that was learning disabled thought that the door to the out side was the bathroom door. He jumped out at 30000 feet and landed in a shopping cart at kmart

Call the airline and talk to them. But usually, yes, they assist people in wheelchairs (push them around in the chair in the airport, take them to their seats, etc).

possum is right u can phone the airline and ask the right questions that need answers what i did,nt like is the way he answered your question it was cold and abbrupt so my advice is phone the airline and ask the relevant questions u need to ask, in my experience with flying the flight addendants are more than willing to help you when u board your flight. hope i helped you good luck and have a safe flight xx

Yeah, call the airport and ask them, because I'm sure they'll be able to tell you.

you should check with the airline. they should have all the answers for you