Does anyone really pay sales tax on online purchases? ?

Favorite Answer

Sales tax as such doesn't exist anymore. We just have GST. That's 10% . But, if you buy from overseas and the cost is less than $1000 you don't have to pay it!

If what you buy cost more than $1000 (AUD that is) then you will get advice from customs telling you to fill in forms and pay before they'll send you the item. If you use FedEx, that will do all the forms for you and ring you, before delivery, telling you how much to pay them, then they deliver your item.

And the $1000 figure includes the shipping cost. I bought an item for $975 but the shipping was $40 making it $1,015 so I had to pay $101.50. if my total had been $999 I wouldn't have paid a cent!

So, keep that in mind!

the place you reside. yet, they do no longer continuously get it acceptable. some on line web content (e.g., Amazon) do no longer value revenues tax and states (e.g., CA) are having a hissy extra healthful approximately it. we would desire to continuously declare all of our on line purchases (that weren't assessed revenues tax) on our state return. this could be a undertaking considering that counties & countless localities have distinctive revenues tax expenses. they are incredibly going after shoppers.

• rtfm

Most of the sites I order from charge it automatically. It depends on what state you live in and where you're ordering from.