If I have a contraction and wreck in the process am I responsible?

I hit the back of a Cintas truck now they sent me a bill for 5,000 dollars. The case is I just left the doctors office complaining of contractions and on my way back to work I contracted and ran into the back of him(man in a cintas truck they had barely any damage my car was totaled). I went to the hospita in an ambulancel and almost lost my baby. I have a note from my doctor stating I was complaining of contractions that day? I was even recieved a ticket yet it was dismissed. Any legal advice or lawyers who may be able to help me? The client The hartford and its solomon and solomon p.c attorneys at law. This is my first accident in my life. They want me to call them. Im afraid I just had my son im a single mom. Will I go to jail? is anyone willing to represent me????

6 Answers

  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Yes, of course! You rearended someone! You think it was the OTHER guy's fault?

    Someone is ALWAYS at fault for an accident!! If it wasn't you, it was the guy you hit!

    So yes. You shouldn't have been driving if you'd been having contractions that day.

    The ticket is irrelevant. IF you have insurance, you turn the papers over to your insurance company, and they'll handle it, and defend you. If you were ALSO driving uninsured, you will have to hire your OWN lawyer to defend you, and you'll lose, btw, so you might as well work out a payment plan for that $5,000 you owe. If you can't work out a payment plan where it's paid off inside a year, your license will probably get suspended.

    Sorry. You owe the money. It's bad judgement, driving while you're in labor. It's worse judgement, driving uninsured. Single mom-ness? Really bad judgement, again. Maybe you need to consider putting this baby up for adoption.

    • That was pretty rude. Never lost my license. Some people have to work for a living . I couldn't afford to survive without working. Your comment was in no way helpful. I hope when you have encounter hard times its as easy for you as it was I and no one insults your life or child. Good luck

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

    Sadly you are at fault because they judge would more than likely say that if you were having contractions bad enough to make you wreck then you were in no condition to drive :-(

    I highly doubt you'll go to jail though :-)

    your car insurance should cover some of the fee, they will need proof of that amount. If you don't have insurance, the other man may take you to court. You will be able to speak with that man along with a mediator in order for the two of you to come to an agreement of what is owed (make sure you see his damage and repair estimates before you agree to pay the amount) and what reasonable payments to him would be if you are unable to pay it all at once. If the two of you are not able to come to an agreement on your own with the mediator, then both parties will have to talk to a judge and he will decide what you owe and what your payments to the other man will be. Good luck with the new baby! They are such blessings!

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • lucy
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

    You have only one defense and that is a medical emergency.


    But in your case, may not work since you were aware of the contractions and then continued to get behind the wheel and drive. For you to use the medical emergency, you must not know about the risk or able to control it. Granted you cant control the contractions, but why did you not have someone else with you to drive the car? Usually the only time you can use the medical emergency if something happens you have no control of or have no knowledge of the medical condition. I had one claim where a policyholder passed out and rear ended someone. We had to verify in her medical records she had no knowledge of this condition that caused her to pass out. Just like in the example they give you, stroke, heart attack, seizure is sudden and may not be expected.

    No lawyer will represent you since you will be found at fault for a rear end accident. Lawyers will represent you if you are not at fault and can collect from the other party, which in this case you will not be able to. Or;;;;;;;if you hire a lawyer, you pay for it yourself and the end result will be the same, that you will owe for the other drivers damages.

    The other lawyers appear to be from the other drivers and most likely want you to pay for their damages. If you have auto insurance, you MUST call them and notify they of this accident and they will pay for the damages. If no insurance, then you most likely can set up a payment plan with them.

    It's unfortunate this accident happened and I hope you have insurance to pay for this.

    good luck and healthy baby

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

    If you have insurance, notify your insurance company, and they will handle this. You do not need to get a lawyer. If you let your insurance company's lawyers handle it, then you insurance will pay whatever needs to be paid to the company. If you do not tell your insurance company, and attempt to handle with an attorney representing you, then you will have to pay the $5000.

    If you do not have insurance, then you might go to jail for driving without insurance, although I think a fine is more likely, but I could be wrong. Get a lawyer.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

    If you were driving while not in a fit state (ie having contractions), then the crash is your fault - I'm afraid it's that simple. (Even if you weren't having contractions, it would still be your fault)

    Call your insurance company and see what they say

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

    You are 100% at fault.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.