Is it Okay to Have a Cheat Day on Your Diet?

Before judging me, please read my entire question.

I am a 30 year-old man who has been forced to move back to live with my parents because I lost my job of 4 years. Recently, a new job in entertainment has hired me on one condition: that I get my BMI to go down and lose some weight. For the past 2 weeks, I have been going to the gym twice a day, 7 days a week, and have been eating healthy foods and drinking water. I have lost 12 pounds so far. I am 5'11 by the way. I used to weight 281. I now weight about 269.

Everyone is proud of me- except my mean, judgmental mother. Today at breakfast, I announced to my Dad, mom and brother that on next Friday (my 17th day straight eating right and exercising), I was going to give myself a cheat day to totally eat what I want. This is something plenty of personal trainers say is okay to do. And from now on, every Friday, would be my Fun Day (Get it? F for Friday). My Dad and brother both encouraged the idea, but my mom was so rude.

"No, you SHOULDN'T give yourself a fun day! Learn how to not eat junk foods period. You're on a very strict diet right now to get this job."

I explained nicely to my mother that my doctor has already said I am losing weight. All the job needs is a letter from my doctor saying my BMI is going down (Which it is!) I also said I would work out that day, which I will. But she would not listen.

"If you're going to cold turkey bad foods, cold turkey them." She dully said.

"But I see you all the time bringing home apple pie from the store to eat." I now raised my voice.

"Yes, and I am allowed to eat those types of foods because I am at the right weight, and YOU are not!" Wow, what a bytch!

Before I could even get another word out, she interrupted me and said: "I am finished with this discussion" and went upstairs. My Dad told me to go ahead and cheat and not talk to my Mom about it, but I am fuming mad at this woman! I don't give a rats *** if she has been there for me and helped me out with living here, it means nothing when you're downright cruel to me! When I'm fat, she's nasty to me. When I'm losing weight, she's nasty to me. There is no pleasing her. Why is she doing this? What's the REAL reason she got upset I was having a fun day?

Best Answer

Congrats on losing weight! If your planning on having a cheat day I would do so with caution. What your trying to do right now by dieting is trying to break your bad habits of eating crap food and rid yourself of your sugar addiction. By having that day to splurge, the weight that you lose during the week could start to pile up again if your not careful. Your diet will also be harder to stick with long term. It takes time for those cravings to go away. It will get easier every day if you just keep sticking to what your doing. If you do decide to have a cheat day, I would try to limit yourself to one unhealthy thing and not go overboard. That would really suck to do all that hard work of losing the weight just to have it pile on again. Don't give up on yourself. Thats awesome that you lost all that weight. Your mom is probably just frustrated becuase she loves you and doesn't want to see you fail.

Life is not fair - get used to it!

The world doesn't care about your self-esteem.

The world will expect you to accomplish something

BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school.

You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss

Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity.

Your Grandparents had a different word for burger flipping:

They called it opportunity.

If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault,

so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring

as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills,

cleaning your clothes and listening to you

talk about how cool you thought you were:

So before you save the rain forest

from the parasites of your parent's generation,

try delousing the closet in your own room.

Your school may have done away with winners and losers,

but life HAS NOT . In some schools, they have abolished failing grades

and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer.

*This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Life is not divided into semesters.

You don't get summers off and very few employers

are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF.

*Do that on your own time.

Television is NOT real life.

In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Be nice to nerds…

Chances are you'll end up working for one.

If you can read this ... Thank a Teacher.

If you can read this in English ... Thank a Soldier !

It's perfectly normal for you to have a cheat day. If you deprive yourself of all the foods you like, such as sweets or anything like that, you will end up binging and eating way more than you would had you had cheat days, then it would turn into a problem and become harder. As they say, everything in moderation. If you eat junk food for one day, as long as you stay within your calorie range and you work out, you'll be just fine. It's not going to make you gain a hundred pounds. Your mom sounds like she is just jealous. Maybe she doesn't have the willpower you have. Maybe she is jealous of your success. Or maybe she wants the best for you, but is going about it the wrong way. I suggest you either talk to her about this and see what's up, like ask her if she has something she'd like to get off her chest, or just don't let her in on your eating habits. After all, she doesn't HAVE to know. Anyway, congratulations for losing so much weight =) and I hope you continue this healthy eating.

Family is your most intense karma.

She seems to be happy in her misery. It's futile trying to answer her back, or gainsay her. That's just ego. Simply say: yes, mother. Anything you say' and leave it at that.

The difficulty with pig-out days, is that's it's too easy to skip it (the health part) and end up with two junk days in a row; and before you know it, you start to slide. In fact, when I saw your question header, my immediate thought was to say NO.

The real issue isn't sticking to your weight loss - congrats on that, btw - but not allowing your self-esteem to be eroded by your mother.

put less food out and youll take less in

• Thomas

Record facorite programs on them when you exercide

i have a break every week - one day only and am still losing weight. you should move out on your own and to avoid disappointment not talk to your mother about it PERIOD

keep it going

3 healthy meals 2 healthy snacks

better to avoid diet when you re under a lot of stress

do your best to ensure you re not eating after 7 o clock at night you re more likely to make unhealthy choices and less likely to sleep as well after a late meal