Can you see Uranus with the naked eye?

I wanted to look at the planets and stars soon, and I was wondering if you can see Uranus with the naked eye. I know you can't see Neptune, but what about Uranus? (and please no "your anus" jokes)

• DLM
    Favorite Answer

Uranus at opposition, is listed at a magnitude just inside the cusp of the limit of the human eye. I have never heard of anyone who has witnesses Uranus with the naked eye, but it is, assuming you have excellent eyesight, zero light pollution, know exactly where to look, and can pick out one insignificantly faint star-like speck out from dozens in the same region, it is possible.

It wouldn't be that stunning. Think of the faintest star you can see. It would be indistinguishable from that.

You actually can, under very good conditions. Uranus is just around the limit for objects that can be seen from the Earth with the naked eye, despite the fact that it was originally discovered using telescopes. However there are so many other faint stars around the same brightness that it's quite hard to tell Uranus apart from them.

Yes, Uranus is naked eye visible. The problem is, it's SO faint that you almost can't really tell if you are truly seeing it. I would "almost" claim to have seen it myself a few years ago at Chaco Canyon NM. I knew "about" where it was supposed to be, pointed their telescope using a Telrad spotting scope (zero power) to the dot that seemed to not twinkle and there it was, right in the middle of the eyepiece!

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Source(s): 30+ years amatuer and professional astronomer

Yes you can see Uranus with the naked eye, but you have to have very good eyesight, have perfect viewing conditions and know exactly where to look. If you're lucky, it will look like a faint star.

• GeoffG

Although in theory you can see Uranus naked eye, in reality it takes a small binocular (10x50) to show it clearly. To see it naked eye would require perfect transparency in a dark sky, plus knowing exactly where it's located.

Yes. However, you would not recognize it as a planet... unless you knew in advance that it was; you'd have to plot it very accurately over a long period (months) to realize that it is a planet.

It was included (as a faint star) in a few star charts, well before its "discovery" (even Galileo saw it though a telescope... but thought it was just another faint star).

Uranus's apparent magnitude varies from 5.9 to 5.35 which just above the human eye's ability to see of about 6 so you can see it but just barely.

• James

You'd require no light pollution, an extremely sharp eye, an intact retina, excellent night vision, knowledge of where to look and preferably no atmosphere, but it's possible.