promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why do the Vietnamese call it "The American War" ?

Why do the Americans call it the "Vietnam War" and the Vietnamese call it the "American War"? Please give me a generalized and a specific answer.

Q: The Vietnamese call it "The American War." What are all the ways in which it was, and is, "The American War?"

and also...

Q: What are the implications of people in the U.S. calling it the Vietnam War? How does that influence how people in Vietnam think about it?

These are the questions I don't understand.

I'd appreciate it if someone can give me a thorough answer. Thank you.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 4
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The Vietnamese call it "The American War" because it was from their perspective and their struggle. The same reason why the Russians called their part in WW2 the "Great Patriotic War".

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

Q: The Vietnamese call it "The American War." What are all the ways in which it was, and is, "The American War?"

A) Most countries name their wars after their opponents. the British call their wars against the Dutch South Africans "the Boer Wars" , the United States calls it's war against Mexico " the Mexican-American war" etc.

PS - the Vietnamese war against the French was called the "Anti-French Resistance War", which makes sense for the same reason

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It's simple, and you are trying to read to much into it....

The Vietnamese called it the American War because there were American troops deployed to South Vietnam. There is nothing particularly prejudicial about the term,

The Americana's called it the Vietnam War because Vietnam was the place where the war was taking place. Again, there is nothing particularly prejudicial about the term.

• Will
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

well its not like there has only been one war in Vietnam. I don't think there is any significance behind the name. It is simply the easiest way to describe it to each respective people.

I think your professor/teacher is digging way too much into this... but its possible that he is trying to show how the NVA wanted to focus their attention not on the fact that they were fighting a civil war, but more on the fact that they were "liberating" the south by calling it the American War.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • doreen
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

What else might desire to you anticipate from a guy who comes from an prolonged line of plantation slave proprietors and protection stress generals who not at all worked an afternoon of their lives? heavily... McCain's super, super grandpa owned seventy two slaves... and that i know McCain is like super-old, even in spite of the undeniable fact that it wasn't that some time past... all issues seen. in addition to, he ran with Sarah Palin on his cost ticket - who all yet outright reported as for Obama's assassination whilst the election heated up... He additionally made relaxing of Chelsea Clinton and reported as her "so gruesome by using fact Janet Reno is her father" at a Republican convention... This became into whilst the adverse woman became into in basic terms 13 years old! Now, all that being pronounced, McCain isn't the worst guy interior the international... and he's unquestionably growing to be greater tolerant by using fact the years bypass by.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

The Communist enemy used American students, entertainers, reporters and even some veterans to spread their propaganda in this country. It was a very successful effort which led to our withdrawing from VietNam.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

the cake is a lie

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.