Will this fit in my car?

I'm wanting to get a Sunshine Radian xtsl for my daughter. She's about to hit the max weight for RFing in her Evenflo Triumph. We have a 2004 4door Nissan Maxima. Can anyone tell me if this carseat will fit RFing in my car?

Update:

The carseat she has now rearfaces until 35 lbs. The Radian rearfaces until 45 lbs, the highest rearfaciing weight limit carseat in the US that I've found. Rearfacing is a million times safer then forwardfacing. We plan on rearfacing her for as long as possible.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Glad to hear you're going to keep her rear facing!

The Radian is a great seat- it fits well for 3 across, and has the highest RF weight limit in the US! But you should know before you try to install the Radian that the Super Latch ( the sl part in XTSL) is incompatible with some cars. In some cars it has known to loosen over time, or be kicked loose by a child. This incompatibility is not for every vehicle- but if you notice any loosening with the SL strap, please switch to a seat belt install. You must use the boot to install rear facing, which is a separate part that comes with the seat. In some vehicles, this causes the seat to be extremely reclined, which isn't needed for a toddler, and is sometimes enough of a bother to render the seat useless. You may NOT use pool noodles or a towel to adjust recline- anything other than the boot they provide is strictly prohibited.

I'm not sure how the seat will fit in your vehicle, but I strongly suggest you take pictures of your installation and post them on http://www.car-seat.org/ where you will get answers to any & all questions you have about the installation for free by certified technicians (the people with the green name). You could have your installation checked by a tech near you- but many have never seen a Radian before and do not know how to install it.

If the Radian turns out not to be compatible, I would just sell/exchange it for any number of seats with a 40 pound rear facing weight limit. Most seats with a 40 RF limit will get most children to a safe age & weight to forward face- usually at least 3 years old.

Also- if the Radian works well (hopefully it will) your vehicle is too old to benefit from the 80 pound weight limit of the Super Latch strap- I believe this starts with cars manufactured in 2005. Read your car manual and the Radian manual to determine the weight limit for your Latch strap.

• asrai
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Best thing i did was read reviews on babies r us. If she's about to hit the max weight for her RF converertiable seat why does it it need to fit RF?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.