PS3 won't read 1 TB WD My Passport HDD that has been formatted to Fat32?

I need a little. I've been trying for a long time to use my 1 TB WD My Passport HDD on my PS3 so I can share my media. After a while, with some help from online forums, I realized the PS3 only reads HDDs with the FAT32 file system. After a little more research n some problems, I finally used the EASEUS PARTITION MASTER 8.0.1 ( I was having problems with Swissknife and FAT32 Formatter). Now, My HDD's in Fat32, but somehow, my PS3 still won't read it. It doesn't even show it. I also tried arranging all the data in the PS3 format folders - Music, Video, Photo, Game. Still nothing works, and I have no idea why. But here's another thing, I have another WD Essential - 250 GB that has FAT 32 originally, and my PS3 reads it fine. Any ideas?

Favorite Answer

Use a short usb cable (6 inches)

Source(s): Had the same problem

Have you tried formatting it to FAT 32 again? Maybe there was a problem. I'd say you give Swiss Knife another go. Worked like a dream for me. What windows are you on? XP onwards won't format anything larger than 32 GB to FAT 32 so i guess that's out of the question. Give Swiss Knife another go.

Source(s): My own expertise ;)

Maybe the software didn't format the hdd right. Try formatting with the standard windows software: Start this program : compmgmt.msc you can find the program by pasting the name into the search bar. When you started the program go to disc manager. Then right click your external hard drive choose the option format that's it.