My Boyfriend Pushed me really hard? Feel really confused and need advice!?

Ok basically I have been with my boyfriend for nearly a month and in the beginning everything was cool but reasontly he has had to stop drinking due to his kidneys so he is completely sober all of the time. The situation is getting him really down as well as other things and he seems to have become very over... show more Ok basically I have been with my boyfriend for nearly a month and in the beginning everything was cool but reasontly he has had to stop drinking due to his kidneys so he is completely sober all of the time. The situation is getting him really down as well as other things and he seems to have become very over sensitive and gets angry and take it out on me.
Last night we were having an argument and it was not as heated at first and things were said on both sides. I tried to be the peace maker and hug him and stop the argument from going any furthur but as I lay there he wanted to know what i was doing cause i was on my phone as i couln't sleep and well anyway things got heated again and he called me some stuff that i thought you know what "get lost" so I said right im going home Im not laying next to someone who is completely cruel and won't give it a rest! So anyway I stormed out of bed and grabbed my bag and left, he followed we ended up in the hall way downstairs and he blocked the door so I couldnt leave. By this time he was really angry, shouting and so angry that it was like he was showing his teeth at me (this may be familiar) anyway I said I wont to go and he wouldnt let me so i got angry and shoved him a little so he shoved me back, I was in shock that he had retaliated, aswell when i tried to leave he punched the wall next to me while staring at me..I dont know what that means.. then I asked him again he to move and let me go and he told me to shut up but in an agressive way. finally I though i wont shove him Il just move him so i put my arms around his back to try and open the door and then he shoved me so hard that a flung back and then obviously the shock made me cry, then he started to break down..
Ive told him before when we had previouse arguments that when he gets angry it scares me cause he looks as if he could flip out at me and then last night was the first contact!
I'm confused to whether this is bad or not so bad..I dont know if Im over reacting..is what he did right or wrong. If anyone has any advice on this I would apreciate it ALOT! I dont want to fear my own boyfriend..he says he would never hit me but then again he said he disagreed with shoving a women and hitting walls near women..he's done that now!
Thanx