Is the Holy Spirit God?

Thank you

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Firstly it is important to have a look at what the scriptures say with regard to what the Holy spirit is and where it appears in the bible.

Definition:

The Greek pneu′ma (spirit) comes from pne′o, meaning “breathe or blow,” and the Hebrew ru′ach (spirit) is believed to come from a root having the same meaning. Ru′ach and pneu′ma, then, basically mean “breath” but have extended meanings beyond that basic sense. (Compare Hab 2:19; Re 13:15.) In Theological Investigations, Karl Rahner, S.J., admits: “Θεός [God] is still never used of the Spirit,” and: “ὁ θεός [literally, the God] is never used in the New Testament to speak of the πνεῦμα ἅγιον [holy spirit].”—(Baltimore, Md.; 1961), translated from German, Vol. I, pp. 138, 143.

Examples of when the holy spirit is used:

Its Use in Creation. Regarding the planet Earth in its early formative stages, the record states that “God’s active force [or “spirit” (ru′ach)] was moving to and fro over the surface of the waters.” (Ge 1:2) that spirit is also spoken of as God’s “hand” or “fingers.”—Compare Ps 8:3; 19:1; Mt 12:28 with Lu 11:20.

A principal operation of God’s spirit involves its ability to inform, to illuminate, to reveal things. This illuminating power of the spirit is particularly notable in prophecy. Prophecy, as the apostle shows, did not spring from human interpretation of circumstances and events(2Pe 1:20, 21; 2Sa 23:2; Zec 7:12; Lu 1:67; 2:25-35; Ac 1:16; 28:25)

Source of animate life, reproductive powers. Jehovah used his holy spirit to revive the reproductive powers of Abraham and Sarah, and therefore Isaac could be spoken of as “born in the manner of spirit.” (Ga 4:28, 29) By his spirit God also transferred his Son’s life from heaven to earth, causing conception in the womb of the virgin Jewess Mary.—Mt 1:18, 20; Lu 1:35

The Holy Scriptures tell us the personal name of the Father—Jehovah. They inform us that the Son is Jesus Christ. But nowhere in the Scriptures is a personal name applied to the holy spirit.

Acts 7:55, 56 reports that Stephen was given a vision of heaven in which he saw “Jesus standing at God’s right hand.” But he made no mention of seeing the holy spirit. (See also Revelation 7:10; 22:1, 3.)

God’s holy spirit is his invisible active force. (Genesis 1:2) Jesus was to baptize “with holy spirit,” just as John was baptizing with water. (Luke 3:16) At Pentecost 33 C.E., some 120 disciples were “filled with holy spirit” (Acts 1:5, 8; 2:4, 33)

Why people believe the Holy spirit is God

Not until the fourth century C.E. did the teaching that the holy spirit was a person and part of the “Godhead” become official church dogma. Early church “fathers” did not so teach; Justin Martyr of the second century C.E. taught that the holy spirit was an ‘influence or mode of operation of the Deity’; Hippolytus likewise ascribed no personality to the holy spirit. The Scriptures themselves unite to show that God’s holy spirit is not a person but is God’s active force by which he accomplishes his purpose and executes his will.

It may first be noted that the words “in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one” (KJ) found in older translations at 1 John 5:7 are actually spurious additions to the original text. A footnote in The Jerusalem Bible, a Catholic translation, says that these words are “not in any of the early Greek MSS [manuscripts], or any of the early translations, or in the best MSS of the Vulg[ate] itself.” A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament, by Bruce Metzger (1975, pp. 716-718), traces in detail the history of the spurious passage. It states that the passage is first found in a treatise entitled Liber Apologeticus, of the fourth century, and that it appears in Old Latin and Vulgate manuscripts of the Scriptures, beginning in the sixth century. Modern translations as a whole, both Catholic and Protestant, do not include them in the main body of the text, because of recognizing their spurious nature.—RS, NE, NAB.

Source(s): Reasoning on the scriptures and Insight on the scriptures
  • tocco
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

As a Christian i think interior the trinity made up from the father, Son and Holy Spirit and that they are thoroughly separate beings yet a hundred% God and that i do no longer mean there is 3 God's there is in uncomplicated terms one yet i do no longer think of we as human beings can or are meant to comprehend it yet as for the Holy Spirit it says that as quickly as you regulate into stored by using faith in Jesus Christ that the Holy Spirit is residing on your physique and have faith me it is literal no longer metaphorical because of the fact I even have experienced the large potential of the Holy Spirit in my existence

• Zoran
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Yes.

God is Three Persons: God Father, God Son, and God Holy Spirit, which Persons are One and Three simultaneously, what we cannot understand.

Source(s): Theology.
  • 9 years ago

Definitely NO.

The holy spirit is impersonal (not a distinct person).

The Greek bible uses the word afto (meaning IT) as pronoun for holy spirit.

Please read this blog to know why some people consider holy spirit as God and to be part of the trinity. and also know why trinity is wrong.

http://refutetrinity.blogspot.com

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

http://www.godandscience.org/doctrine/spiritgod.ht...

God is a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in Spirit and in Truth. - John 4:24

Romans 8:2 - For the law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. - Genesis 2:7

And when he had said this, He (Jesus) breathed on them, and said to them, Receive you the Holy Ghost:

- John 20:22

Know you not that you are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? -

1 Corinthians 3:16

In Him (Jesus) was Life; and the Life was the Light of men. - John 1:4

Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. - John 8:12

Jesus is fully man and fully God. The Spirit which dwelled in Him is the Eternal Father.

The prophet Isaiah said this about the Messiah, that He would be called Everlasting Father, Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Prince of Peace....

The Book of Revelation calls Jesus the Alpha and Omega - the first and the last. He is the beginning and the end.

See Cross References on Right Hand Side

http://bible.cc/john/8-12.htm

• 9 years ago

im an atheist but from what i understand of the holy trinity God Jesus and The holy spirit are just supposed to be three aspects of God. So when people say God sent his son, it's not quite true. God sent himself.

• Karl
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Yes, we receive the Holy Spirit which lives in us confirming God exists and Jesus is God and more.

bless you.

John 1:33

And I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, ‘The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’

John 14:26

But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

John 15:26

[ The Work of the Holy Spirit ] “When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me.

Acts 2:38

Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

• 9 years ago

Yes, but more importantly, it is you. If you are speaking about things that you don't really know or feel, they are not real.The Holy Spirit for me is a river or a mountain. It is the knowledge and feeling that I am a part of nature.

• 9 years ago

Yeap , with all respects he is the angel of God's presence he carries the presence of God brings God's presence jesus refered to him as the father the comforter and councilor with many respects he is God

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Nope.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.