Eee asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 9 years ago

Should I quit the Army ROTC?

I have been in the program for 10 months now exact( am not contracted). I haven't passed my APFT because I have problems with the 2 mile run(I do it in 21 minutes right now). I however pass the situps and pushups. I do 30 pushups and 58 situps(I;m female). I have been dedicating myself this whole summer to focus on running and bringing it down to atleast 18:00 but it's a big issue for me. I am in the program because I want to have a good future, do something with my life, be a leader and fight for my beautiful country. it has also changed me and made me a better person with more confidence and attitude. Lately though I have been questioning myself as to whether I should continue the program in August 2011 or quit(mainly because I am afraid I won't bring down my time I kind of doubt myself sometimes).

What should I do? How do I know if I should stick with it or not? I am kind of confused!! PLease help!

I these 10 months I brought down my time from 30 minutes to 21 minutes. I just jog everyday and 4 times a week I do intervals(run 2 laps very fast then jog 1,etc).

Favorite Answer

You should still stay in the program but you should work really hard this summer to get your run time down. You can even do this on a treadmill. I had to get back into shape at one point and here is what I did. I would run on the treadmill every other day. What you need to do is to look at how fast your first mile is. Run as fast as you can on the treadmill for your first mile and then slow down for the rest of the 21 minutes. Do this for about two weeks. Then work on running as fast as you can for 1.25 miles then slow down for the rest of the 21. Do this for another week or two and then increase it to 1.5 miles. Then increase it to 1.75 and then to 2. However, keep running for a total of 21 miles. You will probably find that you can run about 2.3 miles in the 21 minutes if you work at it. As far as push ups and sit ups, you need to do them at breakfast, lunch, dinner and then at bedtime. The more you do them, the better you will get. You will find that as your sit ups improve, your push ups will improve also because you will strengthen your abs. Make sure that you do not overdo your exercise program in the beginning because you do not want to get injured.

STICK WITH IT. CLING ON UNTIL THEY KICK YOU OUT. Seriously.

And honestly hun? If you can push yourself hard enough to get to 30 pushups then you can push yourself hard enough to run a 21. You just need to work on it. Get that run down. Run 2 miles every day and every day time yourself. Don't ever let your time fall below the time you had the previous day. You have 3 minutes to shave off. If you did 9 in 9 months, you can do 3 in 3 months. It's just math.

But don't stop pushing yourself when you get there. You need to be doing a helluva lot better than that to earn the respect of the e-4 scoring a 304 on his PT test. And you need to do women good in the military and prove that you are physically on par.

Best of luck to you.

If you don't do it you will regret it the rest of your life. It is always harder to quit than to work harder. Physically there is no reason why you cannot accomplish your goal. I am 56 years old. I served in the military for 3 years during the Viet Nam Era, although I never left the States. When I went to College and Law School (under the GI Bill) I had an opportunity at gradualtion to join the JAG Corps. I decided not to because I was married and already had a child. More than 25 years has gone by and i still regret that decision.

drafted in 68 private in the infantry Vietnam. I would have given anything to be an officer since grunts were considered the lowest form of life and degrading. As they used to say at Tigerland Ft. Polk take two salt tablets and drive on. Do not quit.

if you have improved on the 2 mile run, then just keep working at it. sometimes you have to persevere in order to obtain your goal. certainly the cause is worth it. what are doing for training now? if you can add that information, I am sure someone here could help you devise a training program.

finish what you start, there are so many good benefits from joining the military finish out and make your life better in the long run im 100% positive that you wont regret it

What are your long term goals?

I would encourage you to talk to the track coach at your university. He or she should be able to help you meet your run time.

If you doubt even something that small (lowering your run time) what makes you think that you should be leading Soldiers?

It's something you have to make up your own mind about. Listen to your heart!

good luck!