Any ideas for tasty salads?

I want to be healthier and eat more salads, however I don't really know what are the most lowfat and tastiest salads out there! My friend puts light mayo in her salad, does that taste nice?! Note: I don't eat fish :P thanks!x

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Any salad of tossed greens is a great base for a tasty, healthier salad. Toppings or additions can range:

--- Chicken, steak, ham

--- Croutons

--- Cheese, just about ANY sort of cheese!

--- Bacon bits (can use soy-based)

--- Strawberries, craisins... adds an unexpected sweet element

--- Tomatoes, Broccoli, Cauliflower, carrots, green/red/orange/yellow peppers, olives, snow peas, corn (cooked of course!), peas, beans, bean sprouts, alfalfa sprouts

--- Beans, kidney, chick peas

The list is practically endless, and your imagination can go wild!

Then, there are things you can add along side of the salad... like peaches, cottage cheese, pears, apples, mandarin oranges.

Hope this helps... and NONE of this is FISH!

That'll be 5-cents, please.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Rli R
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

There are so many things out there you can use to make a tasty salad that are healthy. Try to stay away from salads with mayonnaise - whether low-fat, non-fat, or regular because there is calories in the dressing. Another answerer said oil and vinegar are the lowest in calories which is true. My hubby was on a low-fat diet so he got to where he just used either wine vinegar or rice wine vinegar on his salads and left out the oil.

Here are some wonderful healthy things to put in your salad:

Bibb Lettuce

Head Lettuce

Romaine Lettuce

Red Leaf Lettuce

Radicchio

Belgian Endive

Endive

Radishes

Red onion

Green onion

White or yellow onion

Jicama

Roma tomatoes

Beefsteak tomatoes

Cherry tomatoes

Artichoke hearts (if canned - packed in water)

Hearts of Palm

Carrots

Celery

Fresh Mushrooms

Other than the tomatoes, everything can be mixed into the salad that is listed above. Then you can add things that are a little higher in calories like:

Cranraisins

Diced apple

Toasted nuts like Walnuts, Pecans, Sunflower seeds, Pine nuts, etc.

Other fruits like strawberries, fresh pineapple, fresh blueberries, raspberries, etc.

Meat - like thin slices rare steak, steamed shredded chicken, steamed shrimp, crab, scallops, etc.

Cheese - Like parmesan, feta, and then on to shredded cheddar, cojack cheese, etc.

Hope that helps. The less fat and carbs in the salad, the better it is. Higher carbs are in sugar, flour, fruit if you eat a lot of fruit.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Simply Salads: More than 100 Delicious Creative Recipes Made from Prepackaged Greens and a Few Easy-to-Find Ingredients

• 9 years ago

This is a nice pasta salad.

Cook a 12 or 16 ounce box of Tri color Rotini pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water.

Toss in some grape or cherry tomatoes cut in half, or diced regular tomatoes. Shredded carrot, finely diced celery, parmesan cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, and a low calorie italian dressing, all according to taste. Chill in the fridge for an hour if desired.

If You want to get fancy, You can also add anyone of these.

Diced salami, ham, or turkey.

Sliced black olives

Fresh broccoli pieces

Finely diced onion or green onion

Diced fresh green pepper

Imitation bacon bits

Sunflower seeds

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Olive oil and vinegar are the best for dieting. It is about 72 calories per tablespoon.

• KMcG
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Mayo just sounds yucky to me. My favorite is mixed greens, shredded carrots, cheese, grilled chicken, apples and celery. With a balsamic vinaigrette.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

put french fries in the salad, it'll make the salad have less calories

Source(s): Personal experience
  • 9 years ago

seven layer salad has to be my favorite. it tastes awesome and is very attractive for company.

• 9 years ago

Try looking here from healthy eating from Ellie Krieger. I really like her recipes. If you find a recipe you like that has fish, you can frequently use chicken.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/healthy-appetite-with-e...

• 9 years ago

romain

red onion

tomato

grated carrot

pure virgin olive oil/apple cider vinegar

white meat chicken

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.