How do I prevent hives? Please answer!?

I've had hives for a little over a week. I'm still not sure of the cause and I don't think I will be able to find the cause. I went to the doctor's office and saw a nurse practitioner and she said that they won't go away. That kind of irritated me since I break out in hives every single time I take a shower. How do I get rid of/prevent hives? Please give detailed answers with as much information as you can provide. Thank you so much.

Favorite Answer

I'm in the same boat as you right now. I've had a hive-like rash all over my body for a little over 2 weeks. The doctor doesn't know much and neither can he/she do much except for give you a topical steroid cream for it which is what my doctor did, but I didn't see results with taking it. I really suggest you book an appointment with a paediatric dermatologist. He/she may decide to order a skin p r i c k test to determine if it's an allergy, blood test or even take a small sample depending on the dermatologist. I'm still currently waiting for my appointment which is supposed to be in 4 months. :(

Well, good luck on your findings.

Just about anything can make you break out in hives: Foods such as peanuts or strawberries drugs such as penicillin or aspirin, vitamin supplement,heat,cold, sunlight, exercise,fever,stress,and even scratching or rubbing the skin are among some of the possibilities. Here's the ways that you could do to prevent hives:

1. Take an oral antihistamine.

2. Don’t Scratch.

3. Wear gloves to bed.

4. Wrap up the affected area.

5. Use a milk compress.

6. Chill the itch.

7. Take a bath.

8. Try cortisone.

9. Try to ferret out the cause.

10. Relieve the pressure.

11. Use a moisturizer.

Benadryl seems to help but only temporary