Levi
Lv 6
Levi asked in SportsFootball (American) · 9 years ago

Why did Marcus Allen not want to be remembered as a Raider?

You know how in the baseball Hall of Fame they put you down as a Yankee or a Royal? Just that team?

Well, Marcus Allen didn't want to be remembered as a Raider (where he spent most of him career), he wanted to be remembered as a Chief, even though they enshrine you for both teams in the football Hall of Fame.

Did he realize that the Raiders are trash in his time with the Chiefs?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I think it had to do with how Allen was dealt with over time. Yes he had a great career with the Raiders and obviously made them what they were (offensively) at that time. But there were a couple of reasons as to why he didn't want to be remembered as a Raider:

1. During the 1985 season, Allen gained 1759 rushing yards total in that season which helped lead the Raiders to a 12-4 record, but they ended up losing in the first round of the playoffs. Skipping ahead two years (1986 - he failed to play the whole season due to injury) in 1987 which is when the work stoppage occurred it was reported that Al Davis viewed the work stoppage or strike by the players as a personal attack against the NFL and owners. This included Marcus Allen. Allen did not attend camp but joined other players in the strike. As a result, Bo Jackson was then signed by the Raiders to play for the later half of the season. Allen saw this as an attempt to be replaced, but he did not disclose that openly. In 1988 things were frustrating to Allen because he was no longer the starting RB but shared carries with Bo Jackson

2. The relationship between Marcus Allen and Al Davis along with various coaches deteroriated over time. During the early 1990's Allen suffered a string of injuries and was placed on the inactive list for 8 weeks, and did not play much during the 1989 season. In 1990 Allen became a hold-out because he demanded a new contract but was not given the right deal. When he finally returned to camp after the hold out the Raiders actually placed Allen in the 4th RB position on the roster. Allen claimed that Al Davis instructed staff and players (QB) not to give him the ball which led to a diminished role. His woes continued by suffering more injuries in 1991 and did not complete the season. In 1992, Allen was once again placed at the 4th spot on the depth chart and he later demanded a trade, but Davis would not trade Allen at that time.

Overall, the issue had to do with the deteroration of Al Davis and Allen's relationship. Yes Allen had staggering numbers at that time, but he was treated unfairly by Davis and was benched un-necessarily and he also suffered many injuries towards the end of his time there. So I can see why Allen doesn't want to be remembered for a Raider. Davis treated him without respect.

• 4 years ago

Marcus Allen Hall Of Fame

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Why did Marcus Allen not want to be remembered as a Raider?

You know how in the baseball Hall of Fame they put you down as a Yankee or a Royal? Just that team?

Well, Marcus Allen didn't want to be remembered as a Raider (where he spent most of him career), he wanted to be remembered as a Chief, even though they enshrine you for both teams in the...

Source(s): marcus allen remembered raider: https://shortly.im/C9PpZ
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Marcus Allen, Howie Long, and Tim Brown

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

If Marcus Allen said something like that it is probably because he has a personal beef with Al Davis.

• 9 years ago

Because Raiders sucks

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axUOy

83 was Ted Hendricks "The Mad Stork" My faves were Howie Long and Ben Davidson. I also loved Plunkett. i got a kick out of Stabler and Matusczak. I also liked Mark van Eeghen and Biletnickoff.

• 7 years ago

He is remember as a raider Super Bowl XVIII MVP he only played with the chiefs for a year chiefs are like the broncos they don't make legends they sign them

• 9 years ago

He didn't want his sexuality brought into question by fans in the future.

• ?
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

The Chiefs are only known as being the first loser of a super-bowl.

They were a one season wonder last year, without wiese their offense will crumble even if they have bowe, and charles.

The chiefs should move to LA.

Raiders > Chiefs.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.