"Accessible" philosophy books?

When a layman wants to learn about evolution, rarely do they turn to "On the Origin of the Species." They usually resort to "popular science" books written by Richard Dawkins et al. that explain it in an accessible manner. Similarly, can you recommend philosophy books that work to the same effect, explaining philosophy comprehensibly?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I would recommend Peter Cave's "Philosophy Without the Boring Bits" as an easy, cheap introduction to the large problems of modern philosophy. It's very pop philosophy though, and will likely leave you wanting for something meatier.

In that vein, along with the history of philosophy books mentioned above, there are some excellent introductory texts to specific fields. Richard Taylor's "Metaphysics" covers God, free will vs. determinism, and the mind/body problem. James Rachels' "The Elements of Moral Philosophy" is a good introduction to modern ethical debate. All of these are academic quality, but parsed down enough for layman understanding. Newer editions are generally expensive, but an older, cheaper edition shouldn't be an issue if you're just looking for a basic overview.

Finally, for philosophy of religion (an incredibly difficult book to get any real "good" introduction to) I would recommend Andrew Pessin's "The God Question"

• 3 years ago

i don't understand in case you're attentive to Philip ok. Dick, yet right this is an attractive web site: decrease than unique content there's a class referred to as Exegesis which has a number of his unpublished fabric packed together with his philosophical theory. there is likewise a catalogue of videos created from his memories which includes "A Scanner Darkly" and "Paycheck". i come across this guy to be deeply philosophical and his works to be fairly theory scary. one among his final books, "Valis" covers countless theory on the subject of his own visionary adventure in 1972 and the resurrection in 1945 of the Nag Hammadi Library.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Bertrand Russell wrote a "History of Philosophy" that is accessible. Much has happen since he wrote the book in the early 20th century but it is useful as a starter.

I ordered another book for my summer reading that appears to also cover the development of modern philosophy of science, "The Cambridge Quintet". It promises to be readable and enjoyable. See: http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Quintet-Scientific...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.