Were previous generations more tougher and able to cope much better than today?

When you think about WW2, and difficult times but they got by. Now we can't seem to cope with much at all but I don't know what made things change.

Do you think it was because people were more supportive with each other and not materialistic?

I'm interested in history, and it seems like now everything is about material things, whereas in the past most people didn't have much but they were better for it.

What has happened? Where has it all gone wrong?

Do you think people have become more selfish now, and no concern about others?

Favorite Answer

Today it's a I WANT IT NOW! society. A young lady I work with threw out a pair of slacks because the back seam came undone. I asked her why she just didn't sew them up ..."Too much trouble"! My sister-in-law (the one that's not wrapped to tight) bought her daughter THREE iPods because she threw one at the wall, dropped one in the toilet, and 'lost' the other one. She HAD to have one! A young lady (5th grader) got a cell phone (one with the big screen, she can do email, watch movies, etc) for her birthday a couple of weeks ago. Now, what does a 5th grader NEED with a cell phone?

I remember going up to the corner to call my gf, and freezing my yahoo off standing inside a phone booth in the winter. My parents didn't think they NEEDED a phone, since there was one less than a block away.

Folks today HAVE to have the latest gadget or 'coolest' car. I've been asked (several times) when I'm getting a new motorcycle. I've had it 7 years this past April, and in a couple of weeks I'll have 62,000 miles on it. My wife has a 2004 Ford Escort ZLX (?) with almost 100,000 miles, my 2000 van has 124,000 miles. My bike insurance is $134 a year (yes a YEAR) for full coverage. My property tax on all 3 vehicles was $67 this year.

Everything runs great (my van and bike are paid for, and my wife's car will be paid off this Dec), why should I get new vehicles? My OLD van ('93 Plymouth Voyager) had 218,000 miles (paid $2,500 for it in Aug 2000) and when the fuel pump went 2 years ago, I scrapped it (it was really looking rough) because the new pump would have cost over $600. No thanks, I'll keep things until they start nickel and diming me.

There's a web site where folks give things away (a Yahoo group; www.freecycle.org) and I got a nice floor lamp FREE...I put a new wire and plug and shade on it. A couple of years ago, a Navy Chief I used to work with gave me a dresser and chest of drawers (his daughter moved out). My neighbor helped me strip and refinish it. REAL wood (not that laminate crap), REAL wood drawer bottoms.

FREECYCLE.ORG where folks who can use/need things that are still shape instead of throwing them into the scrap pile. I also got a beautiful guitar, clarinet, & BIG telescope. Also found 2 end tables, a dining room table (no chairs), couch & love seat for a friend from church who moved away from home and needed things to start out with. I've also given things folks posted as WANTED. Check it out. In most towns you can post a WANT/OFFER for everything but weapons, ammo, animals, drugs, alcohol, spouses, children

no people learn to deal with what they've been given. Either they go with the flow or they change things.

People in the past DID have things and the same is true today. The more you have the more you take it for granted.

we cope when we are in the situation where we have to cope. Sometimes we need time to readjust to accept the situation and learn what to do next, but we do.

There were a number of reasons as to why people helped each other in the past. Keep in mind that many people were not on the move like they are today. Easier to hellp someone you know than someone you don't. Also helping a neighbor was a investment in the future for when you need help.

I am not sure if people were able to cope with pressure anymore back in the 40's or earlier, they just covered it up better.

My dad was a US Army medic fighting and trying his best as a young 22 year old in the S. Pacific.

He told us he used to pop himself with morphine in the leg just before a big battle just in case he got shot himself while trying to help others.

My mother suffered through having a cheating husband be being divorced in the mid 60's when it was a rare thing, she was a secret drinker and a valium taker. She was forever asking where her "little blue pills" were and asking us to bring her the bottle from the cabinet.

He aunt in the 20's and 30's smoked pot that was sold legally in what were called "Asthma reliever" cigs.

They just didn't go around telling everyone about their problems like people do today.

• Holly

For most it was about making an honest living and being a family meant they had the strength to tackle problems together. Today, people just want to win the lottery and not really put any effort into working toward a goal-there are so many toys and so little time.

Yes I know people are looking out for number one and they won't hesitate to put the screws to anyone who stands in their way. It's all about "looking" successful-all phony. "Let's lease a new SUV or sports vehicle every year and live in a house there is no way we can afford." It's sad.

When Political Correctness and Social work came into being/ the majority of the people LOST! a great way to shut us up, now a days! I read on here messages from some kids that are so hate full! they want something from us Senior Citizens , and I have no idea what it is they want! they are spoiled rotten, and want and want and want more. but give nothing!

Don't get me wrong, The Young men that have went into the countries service are willing too give their all!

I have the greatest respect for them! Two being my grand son in law and my nephew!

YES, it is because more people were not materialistic. While making things yourself by hand people can interact and solve 'problems'. Having junk food means you have to drive to the junk food shop in the busy traffic - no time to listen to juniors day at school and encourage positive social interaction skills or help a neighbour.

People can not cope with the over stimulation being subjected to them by so called labour saving devices. Being stressed by these unnecessary noises and lights makes people retreat into themselves to prevent burn out.

Having cars/trains/buses do your walking is taking away people exercising. Physical activity de-stresses the body.

There is too much stimulation of the senses and no downtime for our bodies.

Phones ringing continually everywhere you go in public places. Mobile-phone-ring-tones featured in 'songs' on 'music' played over the public address systems in shopping centres and cinema foyers etc. Cars with glaring brake lights all over the back of them. 4WD vehicles with their headlights at the same height as the eyes of drivers in 'normal-city-suitable-cars. WHAT ARE 4WD DOING in cities anyway ??!! To drive up curbs and pass other cars at the lights ? Many cars/trucks/buses with reversing beeps sounding all at once it is difficult to tell which vehicle is making the sound. And I live in / it is still known as a quiet suburb, near a lake.

Buying food ready made - there is no sense of achievement in creating a mouth-watering healthy feast. I make all my food from scratch but I still have to smell junk food at the shops and cinemas - yuck.

Music that is heard in shops is often synthetic. No real instruments can be heard. Wear an Ipod and headphones you say and play Pachelbel - what and ignore people around you ? Moving out to the country is not the answer - once everyone is in the country you have a city there.

We need to get rid of the unnecessary tv screens in shopping centres; the synthetic music; all the beeping machines - cars, anti-shop-lifting-devices-that-are-ignored-by-shop-assistants-when-they-ring; mobile phones with loud tinny ring-tones ...

Once the physical atmosphere is quieter, people minds will be quieter. Then people will really interact with each other. Rather than 'communicate'.

Society was able to deal with WWII because Americans were united, and traditional family values held us together. Today traditional family values are down the drain and we no longer pull together. Affluence was the test we couldn't pass. We have a generation of spoiled people who want to be cared for by the government.

We stood up to the ultra rich, and forced them to give us and honest day's pay for an honest days work. We stood up to beatings and ridicule, and still got a 40 hour work week and a little vacation now and then. We got job security and health care in our union contracts, in spite of being threatened by the law and labeled as "commies" or worse. We stood together. We didn't give in. We made this country great. It wasn't easy, and we didn't get anything but criticism and grief for all we did.

Now what are the current generations doing? Besides giving in and bowing down to the rich? They gave it all back. Us old folks are still surviving, but just. No thanks to the current generations of voters. Hell yes ,we were, and are still tougher!

People were much more supportive and helpful to one another until the 90s, that's when we went in the hopper.

far greater annoying years in the past human beings at present are gentle and nervous. some are afraid of their own shadow. there have been far greater human beings of religion years in the past too and at present they lean greater in direction of worry yet they think of they are annoying with the aid of fact they think of they are self reliant amassing the handouts and being taken care of by capacity of the government what a travesty. sure human beings at present are in la la land. there is not something incorrect with being rich this is the yankee dream and it is not unreachable whether it has for use interior the superb way too.