Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

moon asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

My dog is covered in flees and Frontline Plus doesn't work with him!!! help!?

I've use Frontline Plus on all my dogs for years. But somehow it doesn't work on my dog!! I put it on him and three days later I see ticks sucking blood out of him! I can't take it anymore, I've tried everything, I even went all natural with a spray and it did nothing!! >:/

I heard that there is an injection vets give dogs to kill all fleas and ticks, what is it called? how much will it cost me? I live in Los Angeles, if that helps which I doubt it will.

Favorite Answer

I had the same issue with my dog and I contacted the company. Frontline DOES NOT prevent fleas and ticks from attaching your dog but it does prevent the pests from breeding and passing on harmful disease like lyme disease to your pet. I've only heard of an injectable flea drug for cats. There's an oral flea prevention called Program for dogs, but I've heard mixed reviews of it. Flea prevention is essentially a pesticide and an injectable or oral form of the medication is much more dangerous than a topical drug such as Frontline.

I recommend a product called sentinel. This is a tablet that will stop the preexisting larvae from emerging and then maybe switch to a different topical solution....I recommend revolution.

Source(s): veterinary student

Are you using the Frontline correctly? The dog should not be bathed for at least three days before application or there are not enough oils on the hair coat to spread the medication. Why not try switching to Revolution or K9 advantix? There is also a collar to prevent ticks from attaching called Preventic. I would definately have my yard treated by an exterminator also. Good luck!

• Alison

Have him professionally groomed and then use a product call Revolution from your vet's office. Spray the yard with products you can now get from home improvement/hardware stores to knock down the flea population.

Regardless of your feelings do NOT overuse any flea products. The dog will survive some fleas (obviously not a crazy bad situation) but may not survive too many flea poisons.

I have used Frontline Plus for years and it just seems like the fleas are become immune to it. Try something a little stronger like Advantage or something like that. Also, to get rid of fleas, here is a pill they they started making that is even stronger than Advantage and it is called Capstar. It works internally and only works for 24 hours. It those 24 hours it kills the fleas guaranteed. After the Capstar works, I would then apply the Advantage and that works for a month. So every month, keep applying it.

Hope I helped you out a bit. :)

Source(s): Had this very same problem.

You have to find out where he's getting the ticks, and don't let him run in flea and tick infested areas. You should also treat your house and yard for ticks.

This is one of many reasons I think flea and tick medicines are a waste of time and money. I have never used that stuff in over 20 years of dog ownership, and never will. I pulled all of 3 ticks off my dogs. I can't tell you how many people I met at the dog park when we were going there, seen on here, etc, who used that stuff and had all sorts of problems.

Program controls fleas and lasts 6 months but im not sure it will help with your tick issue. You may need ot treat your yard and home via an exterminator.

buy him flea and tick shampoo and give him and bath buy let the shampoo stay on him for 10mins and give him 2 baths on the same day about an hour apart then when he is dry aply frontline. oh and keep him away from the fleas

Try Advantage. I used frontline and it never got rid of fleas and my mom had the same issue. I started using advantage and never had an issue again. In fact it worked so well i dont have to use it every month.

talk to vet

doesn't keep off dogs just kills them when they bite

need to treat house and yard

Try using garlic

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Dog_Health/thread/70...

You can also try diatomaceous earth. It kills anything with an exoskeleton.