Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 9 years ago

Should there be a "welfare store" to prevent recipients from buying cigarettes, alcohol, and junk food?

I believe that welfare should only cover necessities - meaning healthy food (produce and meat... not TV dinners and HoHo's).

I also believe that luxury items should be barred from purchase by welfare recipients. This includes cable TV, cigarettes, alcohol, or Xmas gifts for kids.

Do you think a specific store for welfare recipients (or maybe a checkout lane in an existing store) could stop these abuses of the system? I think it would also prevent people from selling food stamps.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

Food stamps are issued with a card like a debit card.

I agree that welfare money should not be used on alcohol or video games but have a heart. Not everyone on welfare is there because of something they did. Christmas presents? Every child deserves a Christmas present.

As for only healthy food. Food stamps are for food, there is nothing wrong with an occational treat and healthy food is expensive. I just spend over 40 dollars on just fruit for my 6 yr old yesterday. Another 30 dollars on veggies. That won't last him a week. Food stamps won't cover that. There is also nothing wrong with the occasional cookie or treat for a child.

Why should a child have no treats, no toys or holidays because of the economy or other bad situation. I know a single Dad on welfare with 4 kids. His wife died and he has a special needs child and lost his job because of his situation not because he is lazy. We should just tell his kids that Santa died with Mommy right?

Grow up! Welfare would be a lot smaller program if you had to be a citizen of the US to get it. If that would happen than the economy as a whole would be better and less of our citizens would need welfare's help.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I agree that cigarettes, alcohol, and some other non essential things should be bought with welfare money. But Christmas presents? C'mon! Why should children not receive Christmas gifts because their parents are on welfare. The deserve a happy Christmas, opening gifts from there mom, dad and Santa just like every other kid in the world. It's not their fault and they should have to miss out on things.

Then there is also different categories of people who are on welfare. People who have worked hard there whole lives and just fell into hard times do to the economy. And then there are the people on welfare who don't bother looking for jobs cause there getting a free ride. Either way, the children shouldn't have to suffer.

• Bobbi
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Well, then this would have to be a government-owned store. Stores like this do exist, but I am sure they could be 'frauds'. We have WIC 'convenience stores' in our town that take EBT food stamps and WIC vouchers, they only sell WIC foods and baby supplies. Don't confuse welfare with food stamps. Two different programs. Not all on food stamps get welfare, many work. As for banning HoHo's and Pepsi from food stamp purchases, well the food lobby has been quite successful at preventing restrictions on food. And, you are advocating 100% control on how someone spends 'their money'. Is this fair? Will this teach the person to budget? to get off welfare? to move on into a responsible life?

• anon
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

What do you consider welfare?

We get and qualify for WIC--for our 2 year old. The other kids are too old and I'm not currently pregnant. So, we get maybe $50, if that, of food a month. If I was able to actually get over to the Social Security office, my kids might qualify for disability payments. I can't get over there--have canceled several appointments--due to work. Someone calling a meeting or needing my presence.

We were on food stamps at one point. The "luxury" item we bought was maybe generic popsicles or the generic oreo-like cookies. (75 cents for a huge package). If there was enough on the card at the end of the month. And I learned to clean with baking soda and vinegar. It was a relief when we finally qualified...our food budget before had been $150 a month for a family of 4. (DH made minimum wage, but it had medical coverage and deep discounts--read free for after the first year and 1/2 price the first year for my law school and I was in law school living on student aid). Then I got my current job (never finished law school--got mobilized in the military and went active duty once my mobilization was up). We no longer qualified, but made enough that it didn't matter, at least enough that we could eat fairly healthfully.

ETA: And, honestly, if I want to get one bottle of Two Buck Chuck on my birthday--and I pay for it with money earned from my job, as long as you don't pay for the other groceries with food stamps, who would know?

Though I do feel bad for all the grey-area people (make to much to qualify for aid, but not enough to "make it" on your own.) That is where I think the biggest problems lie. To know that if you made $40 more per week, you'd lose your child care assistance and food stamps and housing assistance. It may make you really consider whether that $1 per hour raise or that overtime is worth it... Yes, I do know people that really are that close. To know that if you got a raise, you'd lose your benefits, but be worse off. Saving money is discouraged--got $2000? You are off the Program. The safety-net can be a trap.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Doom
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

I agree with you about the cigarets, alcohol, junk food and other stuff, (though most of that can not be bought with food stamps or vouchers anyway.) When you're talking about cash assistance, that's a tricky thing. It would be hard to create a system like the one you're talking about and it likely wouldn;t be very cost-effective.

But I do believe that food stamps should cover things like soap, tampons, toothbrushes, toilet paper, and other hygiene products. I have a friend who used to survive on foodstamps because he was low income and all of his money went to supporting his daughter. He could barely afford his rent and the foodstamps were the only way he got to eat. But we were always buying things like toothpaste and soap and laundry detergent for him because he had no way of affording it and he wouldn't keep his job if he couldn't be decent. I really think that people who survive on that kind of assistance should be allowed human necessities like that.

• 9 years ago

yes i believe there are some things people should not be allowed to buy, such as cigarettes and alcohol, no body needs that to survive, it actually does the opposite, if your needing help from the government, those are the two things you should stop doing to "stretch a buck"

i think food stamps should allow for people with kids things such as diapers,

i work, so does my boyfriend, we work about 60 hours a week combined and still need a little help with food, we arent abusing the system because our tax money is going towards our food stamps too.

• 9 years ago

I don't know that a welfare store is the answer, but it's definitely something to think about. Something needs to be done about the abuses and one of the first things they could do is take a look at the food that is approved for purchase with food stamps or cards or whatever is being used.

• 9 years ago

I used to live in a town where there was a WIC store. It only had items that were covered on WIC, and only WIC recipients could shop there.

As for your question. No. I don't feel like spending even more tax money to build stores, hire employees to work there and everything else that would go into that endeavor just to make people like you happy.

• 9 years ago

I think the idea is absurd. I just want to point out that healthy food costs way more than processed food, and sometimes when you're poor you have to stretch your dollar, which means less meat and produce and more processed items.

• 9 years ago

That would just be driving a bigger wedge between the rich and the poor. If they want to buy TV dinners (which aren't really that bad) or *gasp* PRESENTS for their children, then let them do so.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.