Dismissing how many Christians there are in the US, what makes it a Christian nation?

I'm not coming up with anything. You?

23 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It isn't.

"Difference of opinion is advantageous in religion. The several sects perform the office of a common censor over each other. Is uniformity attainable? Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced an inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth." - Thomas Jefferson

"The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe with blood for centuries." - James Madison

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." — Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, 1758.

"The Bible is not my Book and Christianity is not my religion. I could never give assent to the long complicated statements of Christian dogma." — Abraham Lincoln.

"What are the fruits of Christianity ? Superstition, bigotry and persecution." — James Madison, 4th president of the U.S.

"This would be the best of all possible worlds if there were no religion in it." — John Adams, 2nd president of the U.S.

Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." - Thomas Jefferson

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies." - Thomas Jefferson

"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government." - Thomas Jefferson

"In no instance have . . . the churches been guardians of the liberties of the people." - James Madison

" The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity." - John Adams

"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches." - Benjamin Franklin

"The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma."

-- Abraham Lincoln

Lincoln's first law partner, John T. Stuart, said of him: "He was an avowed and open infidel, and sometimes bordered on atheism. He went further against Christian beliefs and doctrines and principles than any man I have ever heard."

His former law partner, William Herndon, said of him after his assassination: "[Mr. Lincoln] never mentioned the name of Jesus, except to scorn and detest the idea of a miraculous conception. He did write a little work on infidelity in 1835-6, and never recanted. He was an out-and-out infidel, and about that there is no mistake." He also said that Lincoln "assimilated into his own being" the heretical book Age of Reason by Thomas Paine.

"The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity."

-- John Adams

"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man."

-- Thomas Jefferson

"The civil rights of none shall be abridged on account of religious belief or worship, nor shall any national religion be established, nor shall the full and equal rights of conscience be in any manner, or on any pretence, infringed.'' - James Madison (Original wording of the First Amendment; Annals of Congress 434 (June 8, 1789).)

"It has been fifty and sixty years since I read the Apocalypse, and then I considered it merely the ravings of a maniac." - Thomas Jefferson

"We discover in the gospels a groundwork of vulgar ignorance, of things impossible, of superstition, fanaticism and fabrication ." - Thomas Jefferson

"Take away from Genesis the belief that Moses was the author, on which only the strange belief that it is the word of God has stood, and there remains nothing of Genesis but an anonymous book of stories, fables, and traditionary or invented absurdities, or of downright lies."- Thomas Paine

"In the affairs of the world, men are saved, not by faith, but by the lack of it." - Benjamin Franklin

"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

http://freethought.mbdojo.com/foundingfathers.html .

• 4 years ago

The expressed coverage of usa because of the fact 1798 (interior the treaty of tripoli, the 1st treaty we ever signed says explcity we are no longer a christian united states. you're able to do your study--this has been in place for 210 years. because of the fact the government of the rustic isn't in any experience based on the Christian faith,-because it has in itself no character of enmity against the regulations, faith or tranquility of Musselmen,-and since the reported States in no way have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan united states, that's asserted via the events that no pretext springing up from non secular critiques shall ever produce an interruption of the team spirit present between the two worldwide places

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Why do you start your question with a negative???

DISMISSING how many Christians there are..... well the fact that there are many is what

MAKES A CHRISTIAN NATION..

The numbers are dwindling however unfortunately. There is however an outpouring of the

Spirit of God in Africa where 500,00-a MILLION are becoming believers at a time !

southern SUDAN has declared itself to be a Christian Nation... and I am sure they have the largest

percentage as well - ---- after 2.5 Million were by the Muslims in the North.

and many even crucified as well & poisoned.

They are VERY STRONG CHRISTIANS with huge FAITH

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Not trying to judge our nation but we aren't a Christian nation until everyone is a Christian and acts like one as well.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • rac
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

You can't dismiss the number of Christians in the country. It is a Christian nation because it was founded upon the Judeo-Christian ethic of right and wrong. That came about because our founders were taught in the ways of Christianity and applied those same Judeo-Christian ethics to the laws that they set forth to govern our country. They were careful not to allow the government to influence or force the people in their choice of faith but they certainly acknowledged their own faith in bringing forth the constitution of the land. We are a Christian nation because of our largely Christian foundations and largely Christian population both in colonial times as well as current times. Granted we are more cosmopolitan than we were 240 years ago, the Christian foundations are still in tact.

Source(s): my opinion
  • Kate
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

It is not a Christian nation. It was founded on many Christian principles simply owing to the influence Christianity has had Western culture, but it is not a Christian nation.

Source(s): Christian
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Church membership in 1776 in the uS was only 3% of the public, but the US was a Christian nation at least

to the extent that Europe was Christian and the US broke off from a European empire.

• 10 years ago

(John 17:16) They (true Christian followers of Jesus) are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world.

(1 John 5:19) We know we originate with God, but the whole world is lying in the [power of the] wicked one.

(James 4:4) Adulteresses, do YOU not know that the friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever, therefore, wants to be a friend of the world is constituting himself an enemy of God.

Not only the United States, but all the nations of the world, especially Christendom, fail to subject themselves to God so how could they be called a Christian nation?

Every history book testifies that the two world wars of this century started in the very heart of Christendom between rulers who the clergy said ruled “by the grace of God,” and that the first two atomic bombs were dropped on two cities of heathendom by a people whose Supreme Court had declared it in 1892 to be a Christian nation. Christendom has not proved itself to be the basis for world peace.

20 So-called Heathendom, therefore, has no reason to expect Christendom to provide the successful arrangement for enduring world peace. Heathendom has no reason to respect the voice of Christendom as able to command peace upon all nations. According to God’s rule, as Christendom has sown, she must reap. (Gal. 6:7) God has not been mocked, but as Christendom has sown throughout her war-filled sixteen centuries, she is reaping in this day of the judgment of all nations. She has sown the wind; she must reap the whirlwind. (Hos. 8:7) Not through Christendom, but through the Prince of Peace himself and through the princely rule that rests upon his personal shoulder will God’s prophecy by Isaiah be fulfilled toward men of good will.

• 10 years ago

Because people in the U.S. are overall dumber than people in other developed nations so there's a correlation between the two.

• 10 years ago

I wonder if it is any more. I think it is more a humanist/existentialist nation.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.