Can someone explain this knitting pattern to me?

The pattern is here:http://crafty-tardis.livejournal.com/46613.html The parts that confuse me begin at line 39: 39. k1, turn. 40. p back. 41. k2, turn. 42. p back. 43. k3, turn. 44. p back. 45. Cast off 3 Repeat last seven rows With line 39, I knit one stitch and then I turn the work. Then what do I do?... show more The pattern is here:http://crafty-tardis.livejournal.com/46613.html
The parts that confuse me begin at line 39:
39. k1, turn.
40. p back.
41. k2, turn.
42. p back.
43. k3, turn.
44. p back.
45. Cast off 3
Repeat last seven rows

With line 39, I knit one stitch and then I turn the work. Then what do I do? At that point, I have a single stitch on one needle along with 23 stitches on the other needle. What do I do with the 23 stitches? I'm so confused! Is that the end of the row? Or am I still supposed to do something with it, and if so, what? And how?
With line 40, when it says purl back, is that the same as regular purl stitches or is it different?
When I'm supposed to cast off three stitches, I'm lost again. I begin by knitting two stitches onto the right needle, then I slip one off and that is one stitch cast off. Then I knit the third stitch onto the right needle and slip one stitch off, which is two stitches cast off. What am I supposed to do with the third stitch that is still on the right needle and is meant to be the third cast-off stitch? How do I cast it off properly when the pattern is not done yet? Just slip it off the needle and continue with the knitting pattern, which is not finished because I still have to repeat the last seven instructions?

I'm still a fairly new knitter, but I feel incredibly stupid when I look at this pattern. I seem to be the only one with so many questions about it.
Update: I don't know what I'm doing and I am not going to experiment. I've never successfully experimented to complete anything that looks remotely good, and this sure doesn't seem like the place where I'll suddenly become a brilliant knitter and start whipping off beautiful creations through genius decisions. I just suck. show more I don't know what I'm doing and I am not going to experiment. I've never successfully experimented to complete anything that looks remotely good, and this sure doesn't seem like the place where I'll suddenly become a brilliant knitter and start whipping off beautiful creations through genius decisions. I just suck.