New ceiling fan wiring. no existing light or box in ceiling?

I am reposting but with greater detail...

I am trying to figure out the best way to wire a ceiling fan. Currently there is a light switch as you walk in the room. That light switch turns on and off an outlet that is on the wall, no light fixture on the ceiling. What would be the best way to run the wiring so that I can have 2 switches there one that turns on and off the original outlet on the wall and the other to turn on and off the ceiling fan? Please explain in a simple way for a beginner lol, but thorough. Thanks!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • pacman
    Lv 5
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

I'm assuming you don't want to run a new line to the breaker box. In that case you need to know where your feed is located. Is it at the switch or does it come from the outlet. If your feed is at the outlet then the switch may not have a neutral. If the feed is at the switch then they both have neutrals. I'm going to assume your feed is at the switch.At this point you should turn off the juice at the breaker. that feed must get past the old switch unbroken in order to serve the fan. after you decide where you want the fan see which way the ceiling joists are running. The feed has to pass through the wall's sill plate into an empty trough to the fan. If there's an attic above without a floor things are much easier. If there's living quarters above then you'll need to insert a drag line to pull in the feed across the ceiling to the fan. At this point you need to decide if you can fit a double switch in that box or is it too crowded and you need to install a double box for two separate switches. Remember the original switch controls the outlet both of which you want to save and the hot leg (black) now up at the fan must first come back to the new switch before it serves the fan. If you lay in a 12ga. 4 wire it will save drilling another hole in the sill plate. You need 4 wires at the fan, the black or hot leg, and the white neutral, the other two wires regardless of color will take the hot leg to the switch and back. Don't forget to mount that ceiling box securely. those fan motors are quite heavy. A 2x4 between the joists wouldn't hurt.

Source(s): binair - dunat
  • 3 years ago

Wire A Ceiling Fan

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

New ceiling fan wiring. no existing light or box in ceiling?

I am reposting but with greater detail...

I am trying to figure out the best way to wire a ceiling fan. Currently there is a light switch as you walk in the room. That light switch turns on and off an outlet that is on the wall, no light fixture on the ceiling. What would be the best way to run...

Source(s): ceiling fan wiring existing light box ceiling: https://tinyurl.im/Y5zlg
  • Jim W
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Not a easy way to do this. Here is a step by step work plan for you.

1. Locate the power to the switch and verify that you have neutral and ground in addition to the line. If there is no neutral, then you need to get a power wire to the fan location. This may entail cutting a opening in the wall from the outlet to the switch or to the fan, your choice.

2. Install the fan support box in the ceiling.

3.Install the wire in the box and connect the fan and mount it.

4. Install the fan wire in the switch box and connect the fan switch.

5. Install the switch and the the cover plate.

The most difficult part of this is the wire runs from the power to the fan or switch, that is why electricians get paid. They can do this in a neat and workman like manner.

There are SPST switches that are mounted 2 on a yoke.

Hope this helps.

Source(s): 50+ years in the electrical industry
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Is there an attic above the ceiling? Go up in the attic and find the top of the wall with the switch, drill a hole in it large enough to run Rom-ex wiring down to the switch. Turn off the circuit and take out the existing switch and remove the electrical box, enlarge the hole to accommodate a double box, run new wiring down to the hole from the attic.

Install a ceiling box designed to hold a ceiling fan in the ceiling, run the wire to the new ceiling box, tying into that circuit already existing for your current switch to power both switches.

Source(s): It is not really a project for a newbie, but good luck.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Hi Nate, easiest way is to run a wire from any power source to an electrical box in the ceiling where you want the fan. Terminate both ends properly. I am assuming you know how to do this, if you don't hire an electrician. At the hardware store buy a ceiling fan that has a wireless remote ( ask sales person ). Then wire it up according to instructions. Use the remote control to control light and fan separately and you dont need to touch the wall switch at all

Good Luck

Robert

Source(s): redfordelectric.ca
  • Monica
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axlFI

You wire it according to the directions that came with it. The directions are very clear. If you somehow misplaced them, go to the manufacturer's website and download another copy. My ceiling fan has no pull strings and only has the one power wire going to it from the switch box, and there's a control there that controls all the speeds and the light. Other ceiling fans have a remote. Go with one of these if the model you have is too complex for you to wire.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

cut a hole where the switch is now big enough for a double elec box.

get rid of the single box and install the double

run the wiring to the fan up into the attic and across the ceiling wherever the fan is going to be

then just install the wiring

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.