Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 9 years ago

Could the word in Vietnamese ngày could have come from the English word day?

I voted in the Vietnamese section again and I do that in my spare time just to kill time because the questions and answers don't matter to me whether or not they're against the rules because I can't understand them like they do here or in the German section. I don't go to the Japanese, Korean, or Chinese section because I can't. Basically I'm saying in other words I will need another account and I can't read all of Japanese, Chinese, or any of Korean yet. I learned some Vietnamese and only the Vietnamese that was important and I got a message in Vietnamese saying I reached my daily voting limit. Now in order to gain more points, I can only answer or invite my friends over to give me thumbs up on a Best Answer until midnight again which is not for another 3 hours and 20 minutes.

The message said "Rất tiếc, bạn đã vượt giới hạn bình chọn trong ngày.

Rất tiếc, bạn chỉ có thể bình chọn 150 câu trả lời một ngày."

Then I found out ngày means day and day was a cognate from the Dutch dag which probably stimmed aka from the German Tag. Tag means day in German and is pronounced with like a harder g to k than the Dutch dag as far as I heard on Google Translator. I'm getting another ECTACO dictionary and I should be using Internet Dictionaries for something mine won't cover. I don't have Vietnamese on here so I can only learn it from the internet, therefore I won't try to speak it as much as far as I'm going to be relearning a lot of languages. Spanish, German, and I'm going to finish learning Japanese so I get better at it.

Favorite Answer

No, you are wrong at all!

"Ngày" is a 100% vietnamese word, formed in written before from 2 old chinese components 㝵 & 日 which the first carries on itself a phonetic meaning in, whenever the second - cemantic one in!

Nowadays, "day" in vietnamese" is "ngày", pronounced as [ŋăj]: a word which do not concerns at all to any languages you have shown as below about phonetic nor cemantic!

Source(s): I'm native!

I highly doubt it. Their language was around long before they had any contact with the western world, wouldn't you think they had a word for something like "day" before that?

Yes, I k[[Moon]][[Moon]]w what y[[Moon]]u mea[[Moon]]. I thi[[Moon]]k that [[Moon]]fte[[Moon]], it is effortlessly a question [[Moon]]f the c[[Moon]][[Moon]]text; if a w[[Moon]]rd is used a certai[[Moon]] approach, it ca[[Moon]] mea[[Moon]] a c[[Moon]]mpletely differe[[Moon]]t thi[[Moon]]g tha[[Moon]] whe[[Moon]] it is used i[[Moon]] a differe[[Moon]]t approach. Als[[Moon]], s[[Moon]]me f[[Moon]]rmal w[[Moon]]rds are used as sla[[Moon]]g w[[Moon]]rds as a rule, principally right here [[Moon]][[Moon]] Yah[[Moon]][[Moon]]! A[[Moon]]swers. Theref[[Moon]]re, the sla[[Moon]]g defi[[Moon]]iti[[Moon]][[Moon]] a[[Moon]]d the f[[Moon]]rmal defi[[Moon]]iti[[Moon]][[Moon]] c[[Moon]]uld supply y[[Moon]]u a c[[Moon]]mpletely differe[[Moon]]t mea[[Moon]]i[[Moon]]g. I wager it is s[[Moon]]methi[[Moon]]g y[[Moon]]u effortlessly have t[[Moon]] get used t[[Moon]]. That's why I [[Moon]]fte[[Moon]] want each c[[Moon]]u[[Moon]]try sp[[Moon]]ke the equal la[[Moon]]guages. I've k[[Moon]][[Moon]]w[[Moon]] a bit of Spa[[Moon]]ish, a bit of Fre[[Moon]]ch, a bit of Italia[[Moon]], a[[Moon]]d a bit of Japa[[Moon]]ese. U[[Moon]]f[[Moon]]rtu[[Moon]]ately, I've f[[Moon]]rg[[Moon]]tte[[Moon]] m[[Moon]]st [[Moon]]f what I k[[Moon]]ew. But whe[[Moon]] I used to be m[[Moon]]re flue[[Moon]]t with them tha[[Moon]] I am [[Moon]][[Moon]]w, I recollect heari[[Moon]]g s[[Moon]]me thi[[Moon]]gs, a[[Moon]]d thi[[Moon]]ki[[Moon]]g, "What the heck.." when you consider that it made [[Moon]][[Moon]] se[[Moon]]se. It ca[[Moon]] be s[[Moon]] intricate whe[[Moon]] y[[Moon]]u're [[Moon]][[Moon]]t a [[Moon]]ative speaker. [[[[[Moon]][[Moon]][[Moon]][[Moon]]]]]