R&P: Do you think that album cover art is a vital thing for music?

Does it mean anything to you?

• Sticky
    Favorite Answer

Yep, I do like it when the cover art is nice. But after all, it's the music that's most important.

I'm an art student so obviously I have a keen interest in album artwork. I don't think it's a vital thing for music, but it certainly adds character to an album and shows a bands vision and expression through something more than just sound.

Although an album's cover technically has nothing to do with how talented or untalented the artist is, it does seem to play a role in helping some people decide whether or not to give an artist a listen.

Personally, I think it's important as part of the whole CD package but it won't affect my feelings for the music that can be found on the album.

_____________________

EDIT

I also wanted to add that I think it's awesome when the actual artist designs their own album covers. To me, it just adds to their talent if they can create a good album cover. Look at country guitarist Brad Paisley. Not only is he capable of playing great guitar work and writing some good humorous and serious songs, but he's also designed probably around half of his own album covers, including the cover for his 2008 album PLAY which is a picture of Paisley's 1968 pink paisley Fender Tele sitting on a swing in a playground (the album is mainly instrumental with songs ranging in genre from Paisley's usual country to rock, blues, jazz and beyond). Anyway, here's a link to the album cover for PLAY so you can see it: http://www.guitarnoize.com/images/blog/bradpaisley...

Not really. I do like albums with some intriguing album artwork but I don't think it's necessary for a great album. Pump is my favorite album by my all-time favorite band Aerosmith but I think the album cover for it is pretty boring. So no, I don't think the cover art for an album is vital in music.

• It helps if it's good, but doesn't hurt too much if it's bad.

So, I guess not. When I pick stuff off the shelves in record stores, I do pay attention to album art, but also stuff like song titles, band name, etc. Good cover art is great to have, but not vital.

Yes I do think it is. It can grab peoples' attention if it is flashy and glamourous. If an album cover is artistic or interesting then it will look appealing to people and they will check the album out. I think that boring albums covers aren't attention grabbing for people.

I looks pretty. Kinda gives the music by the artist "seen" , brings it to life thought our eyes. Like it helps complete it in a way.

Source(s): Uh i kinda suck at explaining stuff.

maybe not vital, but its much better to have a good album cover then a boring one

No not all. I don't buy a music CD for artwork.

Nope, not at all. I buy music for music, not the cover.