What are some good (Canadian) gifts to bring to a Korean host family, or just a host family in general?

I am going to study at Seoul Women's University for the month of July, through a Korean language and culture program called the Bahrom International Program.

The organizers highly recommend bringing little trinkets of your home country (I'm from Vancouver Island, BC, Canada) to give as gifts to some of the new friends you will make during the program. Part of the program includes a weekend spent with a Korean host family, for which we are supposed to bring gifts.

I have already bought a small Cowichan Sweater (looks a bit like this: http://dudelol.com/i-received-the-most-amazing-let... which is very representative of Canada, and especially the region I'm from, for the female Korean student who will be matched up with me for the duration of the program. (We will be staying with our Korean "buddies'" families for the host family weekend).

I'm told that in the past, host families have enjoyed receiving maple syrup. What about traditional artwork/photo books of the region you're from?

Also, what would Korean young people (18-25 years; likely female) like to receive? Personally, I like trying new sweets/cookies from foreign places but I'm not sure if that would apply to other people (ie: would they like to receive maple-flavoured candies? What about "typically North American" junk food like peanut butter or Smarties candy?).

Thanks!

Gabrielle

@Jazz: YES that link is wrong haha. I had it on my clipboard from before and must not have pressed ctrl-c right lol. HERE IS THE CORRECT LINK: http://www.quwutsun.ca/images/sweaters/snowflake_s...

@ always b natural: What do you mean by "everything you mentioned is readily available in Seoul" exactly? I am well aware that it is a developed city, but it's quite common for the types of sweets/junk food to vary internationally. I don't particularly care if they're sold in some sort of specialty foods shop for expats, I just want to know if you could find them in the average Korean family's pantry or grocery store.

Favorite Answer

Maple Syrup, honey, candy, and things that represent Canada, such as the sweater or other clothing.

My in laws like pancake mix, but that is something they may not even recognize.

I have never seen Smarties, usually snickers is in most stores.

They will appreciate the gesture as long as you are sincere.

You will have a wonderful experience, Korea is a great place to see, and the people are friendly.

1) That link takes me to this letter, which I feel like is real, but is a prank at the same time. :\

2) They sell Smarties in Canada? Cool! I've only ever seen them in UK, never in the US.

3) I'm not Korean or anything, but I think you should take junk food. I've never had maple-covered cookies, but if you're taking maple syrup, I think that's enough maple. I've been to Korean supermarkets before (in America) and the food they sell is very different from ours. I think they'd like to see something different!

Seoul could be the capital of Korea and it has over 600 decades of record and you will find it with hotelbye . Seoul is one's heart of Korea's lifestyle and knowledge as well as politics and economics. Seoul is house to many old traditional websites like Gyeongbokgung and Changdeokgung Palaces, and areas of old-fashioned culture like Bukchon Hanok Village, Insa-dong, and Namdaemun Market. The shopping and entertainment districts of Myeongdong and Apgujeong, and Asia's greatest underground buying center COEX Mall also bring a big quantity of tourists every year. In just one term, Seoul is unbelievable, is a town worth visit.

Everything you have mentioned is available in Seoul, it

is a very developed city.

One thing I have brought as a gift is maple fudge. That

is not something that you see everywhere, esp in Asia,

and is in the candy catagory. Another thing might be

to go to your local flag shop, and pick up Canada/Korea

pins.

Just thought of this, bring them a tin of Timmie's coffee, lol

Now that's Canadian, lol

Source(s): my international life