Can I power my electric air conditioner with solar panels?

Do I have to buy a solar air conditioner to power it with solar power, or can I use my regular electric air conditioner? The solar a.c.s are crazy expensive, so I want to use what I have. Is that possible? And if so, how do I do it?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

Hi I am the owner of Mountain Wind & Solar http://mountainwindnsolar.com (please be aware though that this website is still under construction).

Yes you can, it is as simple as this:

install the solar panels

Hook the DC output of the solar panels up to a DC to AC inverter

Plug your air conditioner into the DC to AC inverter

Wa LA you have a solar paneled air conditioner.

be aware that you will have to make sure that you have enough solar power to run the air conditioner.

If you have any other questions about energy, wind turbines, or solar panels feel free to email me at go_green@mountainwindnsolar.com

Source(s): Owner of Mountain Wind & Solar http://mountainwindnsolar.com
  • rooker
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Solar Powered Window Air Conditioner

• 4 years ago

There's no need to connect only the A/C to solar, nor is there a need to use batteries. Both of those problems are solved with grid-tied solar. The solar electricity system works alongside your regular, and the A/C just plugs in normally. You never need to worry about switching. During the day, if the A/C is drawing power, the solar goes into that, reducing your draw from the electric company. If the solar generates more than the A/C needs, the meter is driven backwards. At night, the meter runs forward again. For example, the meter may read 5000 in the morning. By evening, maybe it reads 4975. At night, it creeps back up to 5005. When the meter reader comes, you would be billed for only 5 kWh. That's the general idea. Also, consider whether you can insulate your home more, and whether you might want to change out your air conditioners for new, DC inverter mini-split units. Those can use a fraction of the electricity per BTU of regular air conditioners.

• Randy
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Yes. Assume that you have a 10,000 BTU window air conditioner that draws 1200 watts at 110 volt, you will need about 1500 watts of solar panels, a large 12-volt deep cycle battery and an inverter. The battery would not store enough to run the AC when the sun is down, it would just provide some stability. Figure $3500+ for the panels, about $200 for a charge controller, $300 for an inverter and $200 for a large deep cycle battery. Throw in a few hundred for cables and connectors. You can buy the panels on e-bay. Look out, there are lots of scams and overpriced panels out there. Many community colleges have solar classes, ours does, but they may focus on large arrays selling power back to the power company.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Can I power my electric air conditioner with solar panels?

Do I have to buy a solar air conditioner to power it with solar power, or can I use my regular electric air conditioner? The solar a.c.s are crazy expensive, so I want to use what I have. Is that possible? And if so, how do I do it?

Source(s): power electric air conditioner solar panels: https://shortly.im/xSZoJ
  • 3 years ago

Solar Power Ac

• J.
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

It is possible. The problem you will ahve is when the sun sets- if it is still hot and humid- no sun=no power.

If you wanted the AC to run 24 hours a day, get yourself 10KW of panels for a 1KW AC. Then add a 1500Watt truesine inverter, and start with 4 forklift batteries.

You will need the excess power to charge the batteries for nightime operation. Plus you will have losses from the inverter and the charge control system.

By compairison- the solar AC is the better deal if looking at just the up front costs.

• 9 years ago

Since you mention cost, I'm guessing your main goal would be saving money? Solar can do that, but it would be a large upfront cost, and perhaps 10 years to get your money back, after which you start saving money. That would be in a good area, like California. The most cost-effective system you can install today would be a grid-tied one. You would check with a solar installer to see how much that would cost.

The best way to save money immediately is to turn the A/C thermostat up to what you can stand. In Wyoming, they had the A/C at 80 degrees, and it felt great (dry air).

The best way to save money quickly but not instantly is to add shade and insulation to your house.

• 3 years ago

Source(s): Build Home Solar Power : http://Solar.eudko.com/?UPm
  • 4 years ago

no most houses use 220 volt for there central ac/ heating solar is for low voltage

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.