Engineering used in Oil and Gas?

Obviously petroleum engineering, but isn't that just finding and extracting it? What other types of engineers are used throughout the industry? (ChemE,MechE, etc.)

2 Answers

  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    I worked in the oil and gas business for 35 years. I worked with all kinds of engineers including mechanical, civil, electrical, chemical, instrumentation/control, structural, accoustic and metallurgical.

    It is a highly technical business that is always looking for the best and most up to date way to pursue the discovery, extraction and processing of hydrocarbons.

    You are correct that petroleum engineers are primarily interested in the below ground reservoirs and how to maximize the extraction of the oil and gas. Once it is on the surface, the other disciplines take over.

  • 9 years ago

    Chemical engineer

    Production engineer

    Instrumentation engineer

    electrical engineer




    safety engineer

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.