Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesDodge · 9 years ago

Dodge Dakota 1999 is running a 210 temp.Help?

Okay my 99 Dodge Dakota Sport has been running a 210 temp..I am no mechanic so dont know whats wrong. I changed the thermostat yesterday and it still got up to 210 today. It gets hot mostly when Im on the road and drops a little when Im idling. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Update:

I did flush out the radiator before changing the thermostat and it used to not run at 210, just recently

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Sounds like a coolant flow problem.Back flush the radiator and block.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

A temp of 210, on modern engines is NOT abnormal. With the pressurized cooling systems it takes a lot more to boil the coolant, plus a 50/50 antifreeze-water mixture won't boil art 212 either. Additionally the gauges aren't dead on accurate. That's why most companies forego numbers and just mark them with a C Norm H. If you're really worried about it, I'd say try replacing the temp sending unit first, as they will change with age, and see what that does to the reading.

Source(s): Been repairing and restoring cars for over 50 years.
  • 9 years ago

The thermostat is probably stuck, if running hotter than normal. It could also be restricted exhaust system. Wind it up to 2500 RPM and hold it there for 30 seconds, then pull the throttle wide open. If the motor bogs down or seems slow to pull up on RPM, this indicates a plugged catalytic converter. And a plugged cat will make it run hotter than it should.

• zulma
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

examine the gasoline tension for a commence.i think of it would be approximately 15# +/-, examine a provider handbook to confirm..The handbook additionally will supply you the quantity besides..formerly you pass ant farther, if that alter into ok,examine compression.. If the comp. is okay.i think it truly is a working laptop or computer situation...each little thing else interior the electronics is various nice tuning stuff..the main significant gasoline and spark timing is controlled by using the comp..you additionally can pull your spark plugs. in the event that they're very white it truly is working lean, no longer sufficient gasoline If there are black or moist it truly is getting to lots gasoline. no longer sufficient gasoline, plugged injector, low gasoline tension , low quantity.. there is alot you could examine yet i'm no longer able to conceal all of them... elementary gasoline tension, quantity, compression. in case you could no longer locate something you ought to borrow,from a chum, a time-venerated sturdy computer and attempt it. in case you are trying this is going to take 20 or 30 miles to make it self at abode. that is going to run awful for various engine starts and prevents. If ,while youpersistent it for awhile, the exhaust manifolds get quite warm each now and lower back after mountaineering a hill they're going to glow....If this difficulty exist the timing is considerably retarded. the computer controls this... pass with those issues and notice in case you get everywhere... sturdy success

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Have you made sure your coolant levels are correct? If they are, check and make sure your radiator is not plugged with dirt or accumulation of road grime-bugs,grass, My 2000 Dodge Diesel was over heating and I blew it out with air and washed it out with a garden hose. Be careful about washing radiators out at a carwash,the pressure can cut a hole in your radiator. Those 2 would be your cheapest fixes. A water pump getting weak could also do it.

• Dennis
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Could be faulty sending unit. The fan comes on at 220 F. 210 isn't bad

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.