Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 9 years ago

Questions About My Diabetes?

Im sorry but I really need to vent to someone right now, so if you don't wanna listen thats cool!

I am a little over 16 and I guess I can safely say I am a type 1 diabetic as of a few hours ago. It all happend really fast, yesterday I was with my friends shopping and I passed out and had to go to the hospital. They took a lot of tests and I thought i was just dehydraded but they told me my blood sugar was roughly around 630. To be honest I have no idea what that means but I guess normal is around 100 for blood sugar so I was scared. The doctors were real nice but they told me I am going to have to stay at the hospital for a couple more days. So now I am chillen in my hospital room because they told me I would have a long day tomorrow with classes with my family.

I am just really scared to ask my doctors these questions so I thought I would ask on here to people more relatable.

Are the shots going to hurt all the time? I have had 2 shots so far and they really hurt.

Will I stay in hospitals for days frequently once I am in reality or do I never have to come back?

Since my blood sugar was so high, do you think my sugar has been high my whole life? Why did it just go in affect now when I passed out?

I heard from someone you can get a pump or something and I wont have to take shots, how much longer until i can get one with those?

The doctor told me diabetics check their sugar around 10-12 times a day, is that everyday for the rest of your life or just for the first year or something?

What do they teach you in these classes I a going to have to go to tomorrow?

At school, how do you check your sugar, take shots and all of this stuff? Do you do it in front of everyone during class or what?

I do sports, will they understand if I have to tell them I have to sit out because I dont want something bad to happen and I will be really scared if something happens at practice and nobody knows what the heck to do with me!

Lastly, do I tell people I have diabetes? I feel really embarassed that all of my friends saw me pass out and I dont want to view me as like a "hassle" to hang out with. I have had a boyfriend and I am really close with his family, I am even going on a cruise with them this Summer. Will it be awkward when I have to do all of this stuff in front of them like taking the shots. I dont want to pass out again and feel embarrased because I don't get why I have this and nobody else does that I know of.I just really needed to vent and release those questions, I feel better about myself even if nobody reads them.

Thank you so much if you sat through and read all of that, it seriously means a lot and I dont even know you guys!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Don M
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

First of all, sorry about the news. You're not alone being type 1, though. There are millions of us out there, and most of us are willing to help. I've been type 1 for 39 years... got it when I was 12.

The shots don't usually hurt, mostly because you get better at giving them. It's better to be on an insulin pump, because you put the needle in about once a week, pull it out, and it leaves a little teflon thing in you that you can't feel, which is where the insulin goes in. You should also get a continuous glucose monitoring system (CGMS), which will make your life MUCH easier to manage. :-( There should be no wait for the pump other than waiting on your insurance. With the CGMS, you don't have to poke your finger as often, because you have a sensor in you that takes readings every 5 minutes. And you can usually tell when you're headed for trouble before you get there. :-)

You will have to wear the pump (or get shots), and test your sugar (or use a sensor) for the rest of your life. I am sorry. Trust me, I know that sucks. But it beats the hospital.

As far as school goes, yeah, it's good to test your sugar where folks can see it. The reason I say this is that it's WAY better if folks know you're diabetic than if they don't. As for shots, it depends. Some schools are really GOOFY about kids carrying syringes, for obvious reasons. So sometimes they make you go to the school nurse's office to get your shot, which is stupid. Or you end up doing it in the bathroom, which is about the filthiest place to do something medical that requires a clean environment! That's another reason it's good to be on the pump. Because you just dial up your dosage and the pump delivers it into your skin, under your clothes.

Yeah, I would tell folks you're diabetic. But you will find quickly that only a few of your friends care, and a lot more are curious and uneducated about diabetes, and their "help" is no good. Try to appreciate that they are concerned, and let them know you need some space and are figuring it out also.

As for sports, that's your decision. Diabetic athletes are a little unusual, but do a little googling and you will find out that there are quite a few. Drew Holder (Houston Astros), Mr. Universe (I forget his name), Missy Foy (olympic marathoner), and so on. You may not know it, but Justin Bieber is type 1. So is Bret Michaels (lead singer of Poison).

Speaking for myself, I've been type 1 for 39 years and it was only 2 years ago that I joined up with DESA, the Diabetes Exercise and Sports Association (www.diabetes-exercise,org). They're devoted to mixing diabetes and exercise, and almost all of their members, including myself, have done some sort of serious athletic event with type 1. I have competed in half marathons, but I'm the "slow kid" in our group. The others in the Dallas chapter, for instance, have done full marathons, triathlons, and long distance cycling events.

So if you WANT to participate in athletic events or P.E. at school, you just need to learn how to manage that situation and let your coach know what he MUST DO when your sugar goes too low or too high, and let him / her know it's a serious medical condition that CAN'T WAIT.

Unfortunately, having type 1 means you have to get responsible fast. I like to think that it made me more aware of my own health than I would have been if I weren't diabetic. It forces you to see the impact of everything you eat and every kind of physical activity you do, because you have to balance it all.

You have a disease that you can live with. It beats the &*(^&% out of AIDS or Multiple Sclerosis. You are one of the lucky ones. I think you may feel better conneting up with other type 1's in your area and discussing with them.

Nobody but us knows what it's like to be us. Nobody, not even your doctor, knows that your sugar will go up and down unpredictably JUST BECAUSE, and it's not your fault. You are going to feel frustrated, helpless, and depressed at times. Try to bite your bottom lip and muscle on through it.

I wish you the VERY, very best. If you have questions (especially about exercise), visit DESA's site and browse the forums, and also check out the web sites of JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation) and ADA (American Diabetes Association).

One other thing: type 1 is an inherited autoimmune disease. You did not cause it.

Good luck. God bless.

Source(s): Been there, done that, got the stupid T-shirt. :-)
  • 4 years ago

Source(s): Reverse Diabetes Without Drugs : http://DiabetesCure.raiwi.com/?YYvl
  • 3 years ago

Source(s): Cure Diabetes At Home : http://DiabetesGoFar.com/?Gmsd
  • Tabea
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

I am so sorry to hear this. I was diagnosed with Type 1 last year so I know the feelings you are going through. I too sat in hospital feeling lost and bewildered. Don't worry, it does get better and the whole diabetes thing gets easier, I promise.

First off, do not be afraid to ask your doctors questions. Ask as many as you want, that's what they are there for. The nurses too - I found the nurses often had a little more time to talk. You'll also have to get your entire family involved and they too should ask questions, as they need to know how to help you to manage your condition.

The shots will get easier. The first time I had to do the shots, I was trembling so hard and just could not stick the needle in my stomach. It's just a matter of practice. And honestly, the needles do not hurt. They are only 4mm long, you almost can't see them. I can now inject myself while doing all sorts of other things, like holding a cat in my other hand. Yes, it is possible to get a pump but that means you have a needle stuck to you 24 hours a day - for me, that's kinda freaky so I'm happier on injections. But lots of people have pumps and are happy with them.

Your sugar has not been high all your life. Type 1 is rapid onset, that's why you suddenly collapsed. And you did nothing to cause it. It is autoimmune in nature, which means that, for whatever reason, your body decided to attack itself. Ignorant people might try to tell you it's because you ate too much sugar. But that's hogwash. Diabetes is not caused by eating too much sugar. Not Type 1 and not even Type 2.

Yes, diabetics who want to keep tight control of their blood sugars check their blood sugars 10-12 times a day. Normal pancreases work 24/7, those of us whose pancreases don't work have to become our own pancreases and it's hard work. Checking blood sugar regularly is an essential part of that routine. And yes, I can also check my blood sugar while holding a cat in my other hand.

What do they teach you in those classes? Well for a start, most of what you've asked in your questions. But it's OK to ask lots of questions so I hope you do ask lots of questions in those classes, because diabetes is a lot to take in, and the more knowledge you have, the better you will be able to control your diabetes.

I think it would also help you to plug into diabetes social networks where you can interact with other teens who have Type 1. The one I'd recommend is tudiabetes.org where there is a special sub-group for 'Teens with Type 1'. It has a few hundred members, all of them teens with Type 1, all of whom will know exactly what you've been going through.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Shocking New Diabetes Research Revealed - http://Help.DiabetesGoGo.com

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Diabetes might be helped easily by taking on a handful of change in lifestyle. Learn here https://tr.im/Zwl1J

The diet plan really should be made up of plenty of fiber and also wholesome foods. Eat four to 6 meals/snacks spread equally throughout a day. Commence doing exercises routinely. Supplements could help too. Flax oil, daily multivitamin, bitter melon, garlic, onion, and stevia might help.

• Anne
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

insulin is the only "medicine" used to treat diabetes. so nothing else would be injected for diabetes other than that.

• 9 years ago

So sorry! Doctors and nurses are there to answer ALL of your questions!! ASK!!!! they are NOT stupid or dumb questions and deserve time and answers!

1 about them hurting! NO, but I suspect they are either hitting a muscle and/or the insulin is cold. That will make it hurt severely!!

2 you will undoubtedly make repeated trips to the hospital, but if you learn to count your carbs very accurately and inject the bolus insulin as needed, you will not be back in there for extended times. You sound like a very smart girl and you will llearn these things very rapidly.

3.type 1 hits this way! You were probably perfectly normal day before yesterday! Type 2 slowly creeps up on people.

4. As soon as you learn to count carb grams correctly you will be a candidate for an insulin pump. This only means you "stick" your bellly once every 3 or 4 days as compared to 4 or 6 times a day! You will essentially still be "needling" yourself.

5.We must know what our glucose level is all the time. When we wake up, before we eat any meal, 90 minutes after we finish any meal, before bedtime, any time we feel "weird". Yes, that is 6 to 18 times a day and it is for the rest of our lives if we want to keep our glucose at near normal levels. Near normal levels means we are not as at risk for the old scarey effects of diabetes such as blindness, losing toes, fingers, etc.

6 they teach how to count carb grams, what carb grams are, how to inject easily, how to check glucose, what to do if and when you get sick, what to do when your friends ask you for sleep over, how to tell people you have diabetes, etc. These classes will cover all the questions you have posted here.

7 I NEVER go to the restrooms to test and inject as these are the germ harbors of all germ harbors!! You will keep your insulin and stuff at the nurses office. Since all the safety regulations have come down on us, you can't even take an aspirin without the school nurse, so you will have to go to her office to do these things. And you will get comfortable doing these things in front of your girlfriends as time goes on. It will be weird at first, but once they understand, they will either turn their heads or watch avidly. People are very different and react very differently. At restaurants, I inject at the table as my food arrives!! Only then in public. It is really weird when 3 of us at a table are pulling our insulin pens to inject as the waitress brings food!! I inject through my blouse!! Joe unsnaps his shirt a little bit to inject! Sally injects her thigh through her slacks!

8 There are a lot of diabetics in sports. In the olympics there were 6 !!!! The only time you will have to sit out is if you are feeling weird and check your glucose. Coaches understand and will allow a lot of leeway on this. It is not any different than an asthmaticc having to sit out a play to take a puff of an inhaler so they can continue to breathe!

You will tell close friends, and hosts if you are tripping with them, but you will not have to inject in front of anyone if you don't want to. I usually go into another room at a friends house to do my injecting. NO ONE even notices me testing any more! If they do and are curious I answer any questions they have and offer to change the lancet tip and check their glucose level for them!!

Here is a very comprehensive site for you to try to read through. Since you are confined to the hospital for a few days, you can read most of this:

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes

This site gave me a heap of answers to my questions. Some questions are not answerable such as WHY ME? HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? etc. There are no answers to those questions.

Passing out is totally embarrassing!! The other things you are worried about are not! They are just akward!

Have your close girlfriends read the phlaunt website to answer their questions. They are no doubt as worried and confused as you are!! There have been loads of "girlfriends" posting on here "How do I help my friend who is in the hospital diagnosed as type 1 diabetic?" "I want to give her a get well gift but don't know what?" Things will normalize after a while.

YOU and your mother (family) will learn to deal with this. YOU are not a fragile flower to wilt. YOU will learn to do all these things. Just think of it as another phase of growing up, just a bit different than your girlfriends. Remember when you hit adolescense? You were confused and scared? this is the same learning curve.

Mucch good luck and long life!

• 4 years ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.