Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 9 years ago

Why are the IP adress of my desktop pc the same as the IP of my laptop?

The only thing I can think is that because theyre both hooked up to the same wireless internet that they have melded to the same ip some how. You see I am banned from this site that keeps track of your IP and when you try and return to the site on the computer you were banned on is recognizes your ip and doesnt let you on. my desktop is having troubles so I am borrowing a laptop and was excited to visit the site for the first time in a long time now that i had a different computer IE different IP address (so I assumed anyways). But im banned on this laptop for the exact same given reason, Its recognizing this as the IP that i was banned on but Ive never even been on that site on this computer before today. what is wrong?

The IP address is assigned through the modem. If the modem doesn't have a renewed IP address, it will continue to be read as the same IP no matter what computer you're on using the same network. The internal IP of each computer is assigned by the router, but the IP used to access the internet is the modem's IP address. So you would need to reset the modem itself to get a new IP address unless your ISP assigns static IP addresses to each modem.

• Gre R

The IP address that the internet sees is the ip address of your router, not the computers hooked up to it.

Edit: Ip is NOT "internet provider." Good God, some people don't have ANY sense.

There are two types of IP addresses. One provided by your ISP (ie. Comcast) which is for all computers on your network. This is what is visible to websites you visit so this is why it is blocked on both. The other IP is only local and on your home network only.

Source(s): Ima nerd

You are going through a NAT device in your router. All your computers have different local addresses, but the NAT box changes the outgoing packets so they all have the same internet address that your ISP assigned. That's the one the websites see and ban.

You might get a different internet address by unplugging your router for a while, until its DHCP lease expires. Maybe 12 hours.

Use dynamic IP address on both computers.

Hi Kevin,

The same thing happened to me , in the same scenario.I also bough a new laptop.And the same happened to me....

The problem is because of two reasons -

1.You are accessing the net from the same location.

2.You are using the same Connection.

Try solving these and you may get on it.

Hope this helps.

Source(s): Experience.

ip is unique to internet connection. you use the same connection for both computers,=same ip.

• Edwin

Ip is internet provider. Go to the library or McDonalds if u want it that badly.