My Gibson central AC unit won't shut off automatically, and makes clicking noise. Any suggestions?

I cleaned the temperature sensor with fine sandpaper - like the technician did last year - and it worked fine for a day, but now it is doing the same thing again. Then, it will mysteriously work fine for a few days and go back and start clicking and not shutting off.

Tobie, what does a book on Amazon have to do with this???? Are you trying to sell a book?

Favorite Answer

Exactly what Boe said,....

Tobie and the trash like him are a team of spammers worldwide on the job to clog up websites like this one with bullspit advertising..... they get paid about 3.5 cents each for every posting they do. -its kinda like the poster hangers of the 50's....volume volume volume.... report them for abuse for spamming.

Source(s): a/c tech
  • Boe

Temperature sensor?

Sounds to me like two problems.

1. If mechanical thermostat ( I would replace it with a digital and not one from walmart they are junk)

2. Clicking if hear from the outside unit "could" be the contactor. Ok, so whats a contactor?

Look here http://www.myhvacparts.com/Catalogue/Air%20Conditi...

Whats happing probably is the points are bad or the 24V coil is bad. This can cause a clicking or chatter. Basically if left as is (should this be the problem) your going to smoke the compressor !

If you remove the service cover on the outside of the unit (where the power wire goes in) the contactor is right there, How mechanical you are I dont know. But its not rocket science to change one out. JUST MAKE SURE YOU PULL THE DISCONNECT AND VERIFY THAT THAT POWER IS OFF !

Source(s): former hvac tech