? asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 9 years ago

Canon vs Nikon cameras?

I'm a skilled amateur at photography and I wanted to upgrade my DSLR.

I was looking at mainly Canon vs. Nikon and I was wondering whether it was better to get the...

Canon EOS Rebel T1i Digital SLR Camera with Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS lens

or

Nikon D3100 14.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens

They're both around 650 dollars but I was wondering about the benefits/tradebacks of these cameras. Thank you.

Best Answer

Canon is a far better camera company. Their cameras are easy to use and have great quality pictures.

Source(s): T1i Rebel owner

I'm a Canon fan but I won't say Canon is better. People say a pic taken by Nikon DSLR has sharper colour while the colour Canon captures is smoother warmer. Personally speaking, I do believe Nikon captures sharper colour but anyway, you can choose the picture style no matter what brands you use.

I got my first Canon DSLR 4 years ago, Reason is most of my friends used Canon at that time so that we can share the lenses and save a lot money. You can choose your camera by looking at your friends'.

Commercially speaking, Nikon's short range lenses are a little bit expensive but Canon's long range lenses, such as the white colour lenses(e.g. 70-200mm F2.8), are much more expensive than Nikon's.

I gurantee you that none of the people above me has any idea what they are talking abt, bet doesn't even own a DSLR.

U want to compare these camera models then here's a link of the most respectable review site;

Btw Canon T1i got 74% ratings, D3100 got 72%, now u decide. Look at the pros and cons of both cam.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos500d/page2...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3100/page19....

Now if u really want to get the best entry level DSLR on the market right now, then go for Canon T3i, best in it's class. Got 77% ratings, higher than Nikon.

Canon vs Nikon is debateble and in the end comes down to pefrerences. Trust the pro reviewers and not the fake ones.

Source(s): Canon T3i & Canon 7D owner

Canon is NOT better than Nikon, and Nikon is NOT better than Canon. The two cameras you mention are more or less equal. One might be better in a feature or so, but not enough to say one is better than the other.

Most pros use Nikon, with Canon a hair close second.

Of the two cameras you mentioned, both will give you good results and many years of use.

Hold these cameras in your hands, and buy the one that feels right to YOU.

• KB

The nikon in this case is better because it is newer tech.

The T1i is 10mpx, has slow AF, a plasticy build, and does poorly in low light

The D3100 is 14mpx, has decent AF, a less plasticy build, and does great in low light.

I find that nikon generally makes better dslr's but you wont be disappointing with canon either.

Source(s): Pro photographer that switched from canon to nikon

wow this is the EXACT same situation i'm in! trying to decide whether to get 3100 vs. t1i!!

i researched all day and basically a lot of reviews and comparisons say they are pretty much the same. it's more about the lens you get rather than the actual camera body.

they are both great brands.

the 3100 is better for video though. it has auto-focus

here is a simple laid-out comparison of them that helped me!

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_Rebel_T1i-vs...

i think i'm going to get the canon t1i though :)

BUT I SUGGEST GOING TO A STORE WITH BOTH AND TRY THEM OUT VERY THOROUGHLY. that way you can get a feel for both!

• i'd go with a canon since they have a better rep with cameras for a while