Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 9 years ago

Is the last name Broussard Irish or French?

Pronounced: Broo-sard.

It's for a friend who was adopted. Thank you :D

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Tina
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Broussard Surname Origin

1. Southern French: variant of Brossard.

2. The Broussard families of LA trace their ancestry to two Acadian brothers, Joseph and Alexandre, also called Beausoleil, who arrived in New Orleans in 1765.

http://genealogy.familyeducation.com/surname-origi...

Brossard Surname Origin

1. French: nickname from brosse ‘brush’ + the pejorative suffix -ard.

2. A Brossard from the Anjou region of France is recorded in Montreal in 1669.

http://genealogy.familyeducation.com/surname-origi...

The name is French in origin; however, surname etymologies are generic and only give the first known place where the name was recorded. Plus all people with the name Broussard would not be related. It is possible to have a person with the name Broussard with Irish ancestry, in that, the Normans took some French names with them at the time of the 1066 Conquest. Either way, your friend would need to research their Broussard ancestors and learn their origins in or to understand your Broussard surname.

There many immigration records on the following website and almost all of them confirm the French origin: https://www.familysearch.org/search/records#count=...

• 3 years ago

Broussard Family Crest

• 9 years ago

French. We have tons of those around Beaumont, also. Some have been referred to as our land owning aristocrats.

You have already been tipped off that House of Names is a scam merchant.

Now there could be a little Irish in a lot of them. I read once that the Canadian French are a very dour people. Their cousins, the Cajuns, aren't dour at all. Some have suggested that is because they have a little Gael in the mix. Also here when we find a Cajun whose name is Murphy or Kelly we just say he is Swamp Irish.

As a matter of fact I asked a friend whose mother was a Broussard why the Cajuns were at the big Statute of Liberty celebration in 1986 since they were not descended from immigrants to the United States. He had ancestors in New Orleans in the late 1600s.They descend from French colonials. He responded, "they were invited. Invite those people to a party, they'll come."

• 9 years ago

Broussard Name Meaning and History

Southern French: variant of Brossard.

Dictionary of American Family Names, Oxford University Press, ISBN 0-19-508137-4

Source(s): ancestry.com
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

Its French :) They came to Acadia in the 1600's and were deported when the British invaded in the 1700's , they were then sent to Louisana and the southern states, there is a county in Louisana named after the Broussards. Hope that was helpful

Source(s): Im a Broussard and I have a lineage book thats been passed down through my family
    • j1 year agoReport

im a broussard and I took a dna test the result are

25% Irish
      25%Greek
      15% Spanish-Portuguese
      10% French
      10% British Isles
      traces of Russian

Born and raised in Lafayette LA
      If you really think about it our drinking and party ways are a tradition from Ireland not from Paris

• 4 years ago

You name is completely separate from your ancestry. Think.. 2 parents, both equally ancestors.. 2 names. 4 grandparents (8 gr grandparents), all have unique birth names, all different. 7 of those gr grandparents can be Irish, but the 8th one is the one you get the name from. Don't research a name. Research PERSONS. You have no reason to be concerned about posting a name of someone who is not living. I can tell you my gr grandmother was Martha Smith.. there is no way you can connect that to me, unless I give you my parents, grandparents and their details. Next.. educate yourself on the basic of research, which is only concern yourself with documentable facts. In genealogy, if it isn't documented, it is not a 'fact', it is family tradition. You'll be stunned to find how many traditions wind up being inaccurate. As for not having 'paper' to verify this.. you are starting out exactly the same as any of the rest of us. What you find/ don't find is hard to determine, since none of us know what you used to search. Keep an open mind.. it may be that you simply don't have the experience to know what records are needed, or where they can (can't) be found.

• 4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awdUj

Not all Irish are bad tempered. Not all Italians are excitable. Not all Scots are stingy. Not all French are gourmets. Not all Mexicans are lazy. Not all Orientals are inscrutable. In each case some are, some aren't. If you post your great grandfather's name, his wife's maiden name and his birth year, someone may be able to find him and his birth place for you. If not, we're just guessing. It is physically possible to have a Chinese / Zulu / French / German surname and be 15/16ths Swedish; your gg GF is Chinese / Zulu / French / German, marries a Swede, his son (who is half Swedish) does likewise, his grandson (who is 3/4th Swedish) does likewise, . . .

• 9 years ago

Im gonna have to say that its French..

Source(s): no source
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.